• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ordering the new Fender Excelsior next week!

Stratoben127

I've wanted a portable, low watt tube amp that I can crank up for a while now. I really hate my Hot Rod and how big it is. It's my only amp and I want a nice small one for recording and small gigs. Well all of the ones I looked at were either more than I wanted in a small amp or too expensive for something thath is so small (I'm pretty low on money after just buying a Les Paul and pickups). Well along comes the Excelsior. I'm a huge tweed deluxe fan so this seems like a cool Valco/deluxe kind of thing and the 15 inch speaker really intrigues me. Well anyway... I'm pretty excited.

Ziad

Please let us know how it goes. I'm super curious about the 15" too!
Anyone know if it's class A?

Stratoben127

Please let us know how it goes. I'm super curious about the 15" too!
Anyone know if it's class A?
I will let you know for sure. I'll probably post clips with my Strat and LP. If you don't mind me asking... What exactly does class A and A/B mean? Honestly it doesn't make a difference to me, the excelsior sounds amazing but I've always wondered what that means.

thosk

Gold Supporting Member
With 2 6v6s, most likely a/b. Supposedly, it isn't a based on anything in particular, but is its own thing. Anybody seen a schematic for these things yet?

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to guess it's most similar to a PCB version of the Bright channel of a Brown Deluxe vibe, minus the tone pot and simplified Tremolo controls.

I'll wait until I can buy one locally, but unless it sounds absolutely terrible in the store, I'm sure I'll buy one. Not sure what I think about the 15" speakers thing but if nothing else, I'd be easy enough to make an adapter ring to allow a 12" to be mounted.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I will let you know for sure. I'll probably post clips with my Strat and LP. If you don't mind me asking... What exactly does class A and A/B mean? Honestly it doesn't make a difference to me, the excelsior sounds amazing but I've always wondered what that means.
How long of an answer do you want? :p

Bottom line is one isn't 'better' than the other and most manufacturers lie about it anyway.

http://mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA-WebVersion.htm

Ziad

I was just curious about class, as a lot of amps I like tend to turn out to be class A. In the end, whatever sounds good, you know.
Class D tends to sound horrible on guitar (bass likes it), as I find that it's "too" transparent (feels like plugging directly to the PA without an amp--but that might have its application sometimes, I guess)
But I guess "manufacturers lie" anyway.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
Question... how many $1,000+ Class D guitar amps have you played? Do any even exist?

My guess is if some jazz amp company built an amp with a Class D power section and a carefully designed preamp to match it, it would be a great amp. I think the big thing about Class D and guitar amps is that it's radical overkill. Class D is most effective at trying to get scads of power in a small, very lightweight package with minimal heat. Those qualities are perfect for a bass amp, but wasted in most guitar capacities.

Having said that, I totally understand what you are saying.

dzeitlin

Question... how many $1,000+ Class D guitar amps have you played? Do any even exist?

My guess is if some jazz amp company built an amp with a Class D power section and a carefully designed preamp to match it, it would be a great amp. I think the big thing about Class D and guitar amps is that it's radical overkill. Class D is most effective at trying to get scads of power in a small, very lightweight package with minimal heat. Those qualities are perfect for a bass amp, but wasted in most guitar capacities.

Having said that, I totally understand what you are saying.
badcat just came out with the bobcat. it is class d, and sounds amazing.

Stratoben127

I just preordered it on musicians friend. It doesn't ship until April 2nd! I was hoping mid February at the latest. Major disappointment.

SPROING!

Crate Power Block was class D wasn't it? The EHX 44 Magnum is. It sounds pretty good.
From the video online about the Excelsior, I got a distinct Valco/Supro vibe from it and the accordian input sounded decidedly Marshallesque to me.
Will be interested to try one out.

Stratoben127

No. I actually got a Fender Vibro-Champ XD instead. I got it new for $130 and it's great. Never played an Excelsior.

Stratoben127

I actually thought I mentioned that or deleted it. I guess I didn't realize because it's such an old thread. Sorry.

Trending Topics