1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Organ-ic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hemlock, Dec 15, 2005.

1. hemlock

hemlock Guest

We do a few songs that I would like to get as close to an organ sound as I can without an actual guitar synth. I have a leslie cab that I'm repairing that will go a long way toward that. What pedals would you fine folks recommend to get closer?

2. theelectic

theelectic Guest

A BOSS OC-2 octave pedal.

3. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

The OC-2 will be fine for single notes, but craps out on chords. Check out an E.H. POG.

David

4. erksin

erksin Member

I've found Chorus pedals that will do Vibrato flavors work really well (CE-1, Retro-Sonic - DLS Chorus~Vibe is what I use), also the Boss VB-2 Vibrato works too.

5. noises ten

noises ten Member

My old Ross phaser does a GREAT leslie (I used to have an old model 10 leslie cab)

Crank the rate, turn the recyle knob to "0" Great for that Charlie Hunter thing...

CAn be found on ebay for about $100..

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You need the Leslie sound, more sustain (so a pair of ODs chained or a compresser), more harmonic complexity (the octave stuff would help, applied very lightly and the Korg or POG would probably be better than a straight octave up or down). OTOH, a guitar synth is a cheap indulgence now-less than $200 used for the full featured pedalboard that's about 6 years old (GS1?). It sounds much more realistic than anything you can do with pedals.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

The EH P.O.G. is the only thing that'll work, altough it sounds too "churchy" to me....

8. drolling

drolling Member

I've a couple of rotating speaker simulators that do the job better than your average chorus/flander/phaser pedals, but if you've already got a real Leslie cab, I'm putting in another vote for the EH P.O.G. It has an 'organ' setting that works pretty good w/chords.

OTOH, there's an old Gatton video where he cops the tone (and feel) just using fender amp trem and the neck pickup of a tele w/the tone rolled off.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

I use the POG all the time, with the trem on my fender it always turns head. You can tell who the guitar players in the crowd are right away. Although I just use it for an simple octave pedal 95% of the time!

10. erksin

erksin Member

That's what I do, using a Vibrato pedal instead of Tremolo...

The most important thing IMO is to use chord voicings that are closer to what an organist would play - smackin' barre chords just doesn't get it.

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Vendor

right - neck pup with the tone down and use fingers to pull all the notes at he same time, get that choppy B3 horn sectionish 'bomp' feel

12. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, I try for the Jimmy Smith-type stuff - got a LOOOONG way to go...

13. drolling

drolling Member

That's what I meant by the 'feel' part. I grab at the strings w/the edges of my fingernails and stick to 3 string chords. W/trem off & the tone rooled back up this same technique works good for horn stabs, too.

14. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The POG sounds like what I am looking for. I am by no means proficient at it yet, but the finger picking with the right voicings through the Leslie gets in the general direction of a B3. I think I need something to get that 'juicier' sound of an organ and the POG ought to move me in the right direction, I think. I've been trying out a synth and I think I'd just go ahead and play a keyboard to get 'real' sounds rather than use the guitar synth.

15. fatback

fatback Member

Comp.--->POG--->Leslie/roto-sim = Guit-organ :AOK

I've been driving the neighbors nuts with this pedasl stack...

Big fun!!!

16. john b

john b Supporting Member

The H & K Tube Rotosphere is the closest thing that I've heard to an actual leslie cab. Awesome pedal.

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

This is what I am going for. I have a complex setup I am building, I still need to cable out everything, but my switching system should arrive from WOBO any day. Future items are in (). My signal is going through wah, (ToneFactor Squeeze Factor), (EMMA Discombubulator), Deluxe Memory Man- "direct" output, (Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser), then it is split into a "clean" channel with AnalogMan CompROSSor compressor set to max with minimum attack delay and a "dirty" channel with a ToneFactor Hellbilly, Hellbaby and Crowther Hotcake. With the WOBO switching system, I can send either the "clean" or "dirty" channels to a Boss RC-20 Loop Station. I have four channels, "clean," "dirty," "echo," and "loop." Each of them has two independent stomp switches to select output to a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and/or a 1980 Fender Champ II driving a 1963 Leslie 120 tone cabinet. Each amp's output has a buffer circuit with an output level control konb. There is also a switch to "engage" the loop with the Loop Station (which has an always-accessible output to play independently from and along with) and a switchable relay that sends the "clean" signal to a non-amplified line to a (Peterson StroboStomp). The "leslie" channel has an effects loop before going out to the amp with an E-H POG going into a Walco Chord & Note Sutainer. The already compressed signal is squashed even more, no discernable attack remains and the Walco (which I think is a sort of fake reissue from the 1970s made in asia somewhere- the pedal and packaging both looked "cheap," but not really all that old) makes it a definitely low-fi affair with volume swells and feedback that sustains on any held note. The Deluxe Memory Man, with the delay set at or close to minimum, can help mimic the "click" or percussive sound of a Hammond. Plus, I can have any live part sound in either "guitar" or "organ" in real time and either sound come out of the Memory Man, like a following guitar player or organist, vice versa, etc...

I don't have it all hooked up, but I've mapped out and experimented with the bulk of the effects used for the organ sound in particular and think I've got what I want. If I loop a simple organ rhythm or lick and then, over that, play a sustained higher root pitch with the eBow in either normal or harmonic mode while ramping the Leslie, it captures the effect of a traditional organist sustaining one solo note above everything else for bars. I've learned a bunch of little organ licks, play with fingers anyway (blues, classical, need to branch out to jazz a bit more). I can do a pretty convincing "When The Saints Go Marching In," and sustaining chords for blues (a primary purpose) to be looped sounds great when ramping the Leslie to the effect of what you're playing over it. It's a great sound for Allman Brothers, blues, even the Moonlight Sonata and this Schubert piano sonata guitar transcription I've been working on sound really cool with the organ sounds, probably even better with the organ tone and the clarity of a clean guitar sound at the same time that I'll be able to do when I get the system in the mail and can afford to get more cables for everything. I have an E-H pedal gig bag and a pretty decent pedalboard w/ latching lid I bought on ebay- no name, but seems just fine for $55. 29" x 15", too. The Dearmond volume pedal is big. I'm going to have WOBO build me a box for $99 that will let me "teleport" the volume pedal (and a future Boss HR-2???) from being placed after the Loop Station to control loop volumes and being placed before the Deluxe Moon Phaser, which splits the clean/dirty signals. This is going to be a lot of fun, but it takes all your money!!

18. Occam

Occam Member

The POG is a ton of fun and amazingly adroit at organ tones even those of full chords.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Plus, you can adjust the POG to get "different" organ tones. A very short delay is good, a lot of compression. You can make the organ brighter, woodier and bubblier by raising the LPF filter. I find that it sounds the best for Hammond sounds with the bass up, dry down some, detuned +1 and +2 octaves all the way, +1 and +2 octaves most of the way up. Adjust for flavor. The neck pickup in humbucker mode seems to serve best. Work on your fingerstyle chops, you're trying to mimic the organist's playing, which is not produced with strums. Double stops where one note is held and the other is "rolled" up a couple/few frets or so sound great. Sustained chords give the most convincing tone. The Walco is noisy and crappy, but I'm thinking it will stay in there. I wonder if I can send it to a pedal maker to have modded to be true bypass and quieter (I'm sure it's got nothing but crappy components inside).