"Organic" & "Harmonic" Higher Gain OD???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DocRock, Mar 10, 2006.

1. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Hi Everybody,

First off, I apologize if I'm posting a redundant thread. I spent a couple hours last night searching TGP for a similar-type thread, but didn't have any luck.

I play a lot of styles of music, ranging from blues to hard-rock, and everything in between. I use an ES-335 and a hot-rodded Strat into a Bandmaster Reverb & THD 212 cab. I have a Klon Centaur on order, and I'm hoping that will take care of my low- to mid-gain needs for blues and classic rock. However, I also play a lot of late 70's-early 90's hard rock & fusion-type stuff. I've been using an original (100K) OCD for this application, but haven't been thrilled with it lately. I think that the top end is too thin, and I have the same complaint as a lot of other TGP'ers about that "scooped" sound it has.

I'm looking for a versatile pedal that will give me thick, rich high-gain sounds for my needed application. I want good, organic, string-to-string definition, without any icepicks in the top end or too boomy of a low end. (I know, who doesn't, right? :) )I know it's tough to judge with sound clips, so I thought I'd appeal to the nice folks here on TGP for help. I used to play through a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 amp, and the high-gain I got out of that was pretty damn awesome. I'm not a shredder, and I don't play death metal...so I'm looking to avoid super crunched-out sounds or a lot of noise. I don't want to sound like a Metal Zone or a Boogie Recto. I want a pedal that will do the hard rock thing, but then if I change the settings or turn down the gain, still have useable sounds. With the OCD, I've found that even when I try to use it for "in-between" sounds, it still sounds like "insta-rock." It has no useful mid-range control to it at all.

So, it's time for a change. Is there a pedal out there that could address my needs? Or am I asking for too much?

To those of you who take the time to read this wordy post and offer any suggestions, I thank you in advance. Hope everybody has a great Friday!!!

Best,

Doc :BEER

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The menatone blue collar does the old Marshall thing beautifully and really works well with humbuckers. Set the tone and gain around 2 o'clock and the presence around 10 o'clock. Cuts a bit of the bass, but IMHO you don't want that anyway.

3. wopr

wopr Member

The Langraff OD will get you close. I have one and love it.

4. fatback

fatback Member

MI Audio Tube Zone does some great higher gain tones.

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Try a BB Preamp too. Cool pedal! Very sensitive to volume knob changes.

Bob

6. threm

threm Member

The Stephenson Stage Hog costs like three ( or two - depending on the brand) boutique ODs.
    BUT the SH may very well be your end to the everlasting search for the right box.

In that regard it`s an inexpensive pedal. ;-)

7. DocRock

Hey, thanks for the responses so far...keep 'em coming!!! By the way, I've heard a good buzz about the EMMA ReezaFRATzitz. Anybody tried that one?

Doc :dude

8. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Menatone Howie. Big learning curve, though. You have to think of it like an amp, not a pedal.

9. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

you could change your effects rig to:

Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso > Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso > Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso > Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso > Fulltone OCD > Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso > Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso > AMP

10. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

yep, that would be my pick! :dude -Guy

11. DocRock

*LOL* :D

12. DocRock

Is that a discontinued model? There's nothing about it on their website.

13. landru64

landru64 Member

landgraff MoD. his products are the definition of organic richness, compared to other pedals i've tried. the Dynamic overdrive can be put in that zone, but the MoD is more 'high gain'.

14. msp

msp Member

allso check out barber pedals

they come highly recomended

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I like my Menatone Blue Collar, it does chop bit of low end, but if you play with a bass plyer you don't need it anyway. For more crunchy tones, I like my ToneBone Classic. I don't have a BB yet, but I played a friends, and it was very nice. Lots of good stuff these days. Different drives work better with different amps, but my AnalogMan KoT works great with everything.

16. funkycam

funkycam Member

Keeley ds-1 ultra

17. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

whoa

18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Scroll to the bottom here:

http://musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/mena.php

It's on sale to boot. Watch their video.

19. Electric I

Electric I Member

I'll echo what msp said - check out the Barber pedals.

I have a Burn Unit EQ on the way & bought it because of the clips I heard & it's high recommendation. It's the highest gain pedal they make, I believe.

Apparently Barber pedals are well known for retaining clarity under gain while not sacrificing any frequencies in the process.

Cheers

20. DocRock

Thanks for that link!!! I don't have any experience with their stuff, but it all seems really cool. The Howie was pretty effin' amazing at replicating that D*mble-esque tone. I was really impressed by the "King of the Britains." Anybody try that one out?

Also, I tried finding information about John Landgraff. Another poster said his "Mo D" is supposed to be the sh*t. Does he have a website?

Thanks again to everybody for their input!!! Any other suggestions are welcome and encouraged!!!

Best,

Doc :dude