Organizing study material per sound characterisc?

KenA

Do you guys think it's worth to organize things by for example, put everything that has major sound in a folder, minor in another and so on. Of course it will need subfolders ex. major/mixolydian, major/major_pentatonic, etc

What do you think would be pros and cons of doing it?

frdagaa

Silver Supporting Member
Pros: It will feed into and help fulfill any OCD tendencies you tend to have.
Cons: It will feed into and help fulfill any OCD tendencies you tend to have.

On a more serious note, I can't see how it would work -- too many exercises, lessons, even individual musical ideas will be characterized by more than one sound, or fit somewhere in between. For an organizational system to work well, I think the categorization of information has to be easily reproducible and intuitive, and I think it would be hard to achieve that based on sound.

KenA

@frdagaa, yeah I came to a similar conclusion, that's why I'm still organizing things by author's methods and spare licks/exercises. To actually have things accessible by sound types or any other 'specs' the only way out I see is to separate each exercise/lick/etc into an unit, add tags into a database and develop a search system so a single unit can be retrieved by the current tag(s) a user chooses. I know how to develop a system like that because I'm a programmer, but I wouldn't because I'm too lazy just by thinking about it, haha

StanG

Isn't that what your brain and ear are for? Not that organizing material into several broad areas isn't a good idea. Beyond the books in a box, and the pile of stuff on my music stand, a while ago I organized by putting printouts in different folders: Bergonzi, transcriptions, Baker, Bobby Stern, etc, so the stuff I have digitally, but have printed out pages of at some point can be accessed with a reasonable amount of effort, rather than being somewhere in a pretty huge pile.

Tim Bowen

While I'm somewhat inclined to agree with the general consensus here, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the information.

Bebop Bible; The Musician's Dictionary of Melodic Lines by Les Wise contains only specific sections for major, minor, and dominant 7th lines, as well as ii-V's, ii-V-I's, and turnarounds. He breaks it down further by organizing the lines into additional subsets, as starting from root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th, and even 2nd/9th, 4th/11th, and 6th/13th.

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine is more of a comprehensive text, but does include dedicated sections for major, melodic minor, diminished, and whole-tone scale harmony.

Years ago I saw Scott Henderson's personal notebooks, which contained all of the many handwritten transcriptions that he'd done up to that point. He had his books organized by artist; sections for Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Shorter, Zawinul, etc.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
While I'm somewhat inclined to agree with the general consensus here, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the information.

Bebop Bible; The Musician's Dictionary of Melodic Lines by Les Wise contains only specific sections for major, minor, and dominant 7th lines, as well as ii-V's, ii-V-I's, and turnarounds. He breaks it down further by organizing the lines into additional subsets, as starting from root, 3rd, 5th, and 7th, and even 2nd/9th, 4th/11th, and 6th/13th.

The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine is more of a comprehensive text, but does include dedicated sections for major, melodic minor, diminished, and whole-tone scale harmony.

Years ago I saw Scott Henderson's personal notebooks, which contained all of the many handwritten transcriptions that he'd done up to that point. He had his books organized by artist; sections for Miles, Monk, Coltrane, Shorter, Zawinul, etc.
I think the danger with the OP's idea and a lot of the books is that you end up avoid listening to and playing music. This is coming from a person who has spent many years studying books. I have the Les Wise book. As brilliant as it is from an organizational standpoint, why would one open it when there are recordings of Charlie Parker? I think Scott Henderson has the right idea, and it shows!

Tim Bowen

I think the danger with the OP's idea and a lot of the books is that you end up avoid listening to and playing music. This is coming from a person who has spent many years studying books. I have the Les Wise book. As brilliant as it is from an organizational standpoint, why would one open it when there are recordings of Charlie Parker? I think Scott Henderson has the right idea, and it shows!

Or you could do both. It's a conscious decision either way. I don't really see any danger, try different approaches. I've always liked combining books, like Les Wise's and others, with listening to records and emulating and transcribing, and using the ideas as springboards, I've always enjoyed it all.

Early on, the Les Wise book helped me paint-by-numbers with standards - which is what you'd warn against, right? No worries, as long as you listen to music. It's a book, more like a supplement than a choice.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Or you could do both. It's a conscious decision either way. I don't really see any danger, try different approaches. I've always liked combining books, like Les Wise's and others, with listening to records and emulating and transcribing, and using the ideas as springboards, I've always enjoyed it all.

Early on, the Les Wise book helped me paint-by-numbers with standards - which is what you'd warn against, right? No worries, as long as you listen to music. It's a book, more like a supplement than a choice.
Did ever see the Les Wise piece in the GIT book TEN?

Tim Bowen

I had most of that material, but not Ten. I always loved what Wise said about concepts, lines, and muscle memory patterns becoming ingrained after 21 days. I still have some RF in the REH series. Joe Diorio was the interval king!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom