• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click the guitar banner for full details. All you need to do is upgrade to Silver, Gold, Platinum or Double Platinum supporting membership. Click the entry banner to upgrade your account and enter today!

Click Here

Click Here

Orianthi's tone on AI...

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe she wants to be successful and make money, so she's trying to connect with a pop audience, while she has a chance. I honestly can't say I blame her.
I don't blame her either, Pete. From what we've seen so far, I just don't think that's where her talent lies. Just my opinion, but I think she will have a fine career as a guitar player, and when all is said and done will be known as "guitarist Orianthi." This being a guitar oriented forum, I think most of think that is something worth attaining, and it's certainly not a knock. Maybe she won't rake in the pop star dough, but I bet over her career she will do very well and probably have a more stable career than a lot of those that have a brief moment in the sun as a pop star.

hasserl

Folks...Orianthi has 'it' going on and is navigating her way though stardom.
Can you say that about yourself?
This is lame.

For hundredth or so time, this is a discussion board, the idea is to discuss things, pro & con (it makes for more interesting discussion when there are opposing view points). You do not have to be better than a particular musician to discuss that musician in a thread here. You do not have to qualify yourself with whether or not you are better than that musician to criticize them. You do not need to be able to build a better guitar, amp or fx pedal in order to criticize any particular guitar, amp or fx pedal. This is just discussion, and it is the point of the board. Please stop making these idiotic requests for people to compare themselves to the thread topic in order to offer a dissenting opinion or critical analysis.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
Actually I did not ask you to compare yourself to be able to offer a dissenting opinion.
I just asked if you could say the same about yourself. I'm all for dissent and criticism. All for it...check my past meyer criticisms

MikeHenry

Actually I did not ask you to compare yourself to be able to offer a dissenting opinion.
I just asked if you could say the same about yourself. I'm all for dissent and criticism. All for it...check my past meyer criticisms

I guess his issue was what our personal career status or goals would have anything even remotely to do with out opinion on an artists ability.

Terry Hayes

PUHlease. At that level its in the fingers. You either play or you don't. Several contestants on that show have gotten GREAT tone out of the same PRS equipment.
I don't know. No one would argue that Paul Jackson, Jr. has great fingers but his tone has been less than stellar on more than one occassion on that show.

StevenA

She needs bigger boobs and a nice layout. Worked for Anna Kournikova, Danica Patrick, Jessica Simpson, and other young women who needed a little extra to make up for their lack of talent.

She has a nice one name moniker=pioneer. Worked for Prince, Sting, Bono, Shakira and Madonna

I've said this many times before... it isn't necessary to criticize anyone's art. Either take out your credit card, or leave it in your wallet.

Aj_rocker

at the end f the day, does it really matter if shes better than x or y. hopefully she will inspire more kids to learn and trace back, to see who she loves and plays like. that how i really got in to carlton, from luke. As one of the so called 20. Its a different world, but do i judge myself on it? NOPE, i judge myself on how i play current not what i have done. im over the crap, i want to be better for ME, not for you not for every just ME, thats what matters.

Lerxt

I don't believe that the producers had anything to do with the ugly girl's guitar tone - and to me she is rather homely and frankly a little skanky.
Maybe she needs to get the approved TGP look:

-overweight
-late forties or fifties
-balding gray hair
-goatee or beard (maybe not)
-bowing shirt or floral shirt
-fedora
-sunglasses
-shorts and flip-flops

Then she needs to get herself a boutique Strat or LP, boutique overdrive pedal, boutique tube combo, and play some tasty BLOOZE licks! I don't think I heard one pentatonic BLOOZE lick in that whole song. :dunno

There's a ton of great cats here on TGP who could run circles around Orianthi, if only they wanted to give up their IT jobs and pursue their music full-time. :rolleyes:

Seriously, :barfon this whole thread.

aeolian

Wow, that was an interesting 13 pages. I've going to have to watch those youtube clips when I get home.

But, what I see is a kid, like tons of kids I see at GC every Saturday, or on youtube, who has worked and developed facility on the guitar and can pull off "shred" licks. And who though a combination of luck, fortitude and possibly connections, got some public notoriety. One breaks loose from the pack and lands a gig on MJ's tour as the Jennifer Batten replacement. Cool for her. Lots of folks out there could have done the gig, but she got it. Then MJ accidently passes and she's out a high profile gig before it ever starts. I know other folks who have talent and have been "this" close to breaking though. Sucks whenever that happens. But fortunately for O, someone discovers she can sing serviceably, even sounds a bit like Avril, and so here's an idea, let's get one of the songwriters to put together something Avril like (which we know will sell) and we'll spice it up cause this woman can do these hot guitar licks and we can stick some in here and there. Lot's of marketing possiblities. Tween pop star, 2nd coming of Avril, guitar goddess, etc.

So here she is, faced with choices. Maybe another Batten like chair will open up, but that's not likely given how much guitar is used in most pop music these days. Go back to the shed and try to come up with something that would make her competitive with all the other guitar heros wandering around LA? Fall into obscurity and end up with some corporate band squeezing out of living with playing and teaching?

Or create that next Batten like guitar chair by taking the available opportunity to stick those shred licks into pop songs they give her to sing, and help push the guitar back out in front? Maybe develop the ability to later put out things that she likes (a la Mayer). Maybe during these pop tours, she's sitting in her hotel with Vai and Henderson recordings working out something that would make the pure music guitarheads take notice. Or maybe she's just taking it one day at a time. Her choice.

I'd love the opportunity to "sell out" for a large stadium tour. That would give me the time to spend with the instrument in my hands, and maybe develop the kind of stuff I wish I could play.

Adel2

I don't blame her either, Pete. From what we've seen so far, I just don't think that's where her talent lies. Just my opinion, but I think she will have a fine career as a guitar player, and when all is said and done will be known as "guitarist Orianthi." This being a guitar oriented forum, I think most of think that is something worth attaining, and it's certainly not a knock. Maybe she won't rake in the pop star dough, but I bet over her career she will do very well and probably have a more stable career than a lot of those that have a brief moment in the sun as a pop star.
It seems to me that she usually looks uncomfortable playing the pop star game. She'll probably go back to being a session/backing guitarist after a while (I could be very wrong though).

She was in the right place at the right time, but she's not reaching me - perhaps because of this conflict (speculation on my part). Now, someone like Desiree Bassett seems so genuinely happy to be on a stage and do her thing that it's actually moving, despite the fact that she may not be the player that Orianthi is.

Thanks guys for bringing up the name of April Lawton again!

andrekp

People here watch american idol?? That is beyond depressing.
No kidding!

And how does someone who watches AI then come on here an pretend to be the arbitur of who is talented or not!? And since when does "people buy her records" equate to "she's the next Jimmy Page you ignorant haters?"

She just sounds like a swarm of bees to me, but I admit I have no desire to give her any more of a chance than I have Clay Aiken. She wouldn't be the first musician that I don't bother with.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Or create that next Batten like guitar chair by taking the available opportunity to stick those shred licks into pop songs they give her to sing, and help push the guitar back out in front? Maybe develop the ability to later put out things that she likes (a la Mayer)...
Unfair comparison IMO. Among the reasons for that is that Mayer actually writes his own stuff. Orianthi is more of a corporate construct.

-Austin

Last edited:

Trending Topics