Origin 20C came today

CrispyTone

More definition and clarity vs. the Bassbreaker 30C. Even with the gain boost on with the Origin vs. channel 2 (less gain) on BB, the tone stack is more interactive on the Marshall and the notes bounce more, a clearer, more open sound which could have to do with the EL34s and more headroom/bark. I like them both, give the edge to the Marshall Origin.

Daniel Travis

Does your DC30 make comparable priced amps that have EL34s sound like a toy?
I don't own a DC30 anymore.

But if I still played edge of breakup sounds, yes it would make comparable el34 amps sound like a toy.

Don't be stupid. They're different tubes for different sounds, that do different things.

El34s are probably better in general for heavy sounds. Or saturated sounds. But if you think that as a rule they are superior to el84s you are completely ignorant about gear.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member

But if I still played edge of breakup sounds, yes it would make comparable el34 amps sound like a toy.

Don't be stupid. They're different tubes for different sounds, that do different things.

El34s are probably better in general for heavy sounds. Or saturated sounds. But if you think that as a rule they are superior to el84s you are completely ignorant about gear.
Tell us how you really feel about this... :)

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member

Nice. Thank you for calling me stupid and ignorant because I gave my opinion. I still like EL34 > EL84

Last edited:

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Origin. It's my first EL34 amp.

I've had a pile of EL84 amps and figured out I just don't care for them. Never played a Matchless, though, maybe it would sway my preferences?

But, for the most part, I'm a big bottle guy and like 6L6's over 6V6's as well.

So, I'm with Figaro here, EL34 > EL84

CrispyTone

I'm getting a better jazz tone out of the Marshall over the BB's clean channel, which is supposed to be the classic Fender clean... I felt the same way about my JCM800... I could get a great jazz tone out of that as well. I always felt that a saxophone sounds like a smoothly overdriven guitar on the edge of break-up anyway. I like to play guitar like a horned instrument anyway in terms of attack and style.

scott58

I've never been a huge fan of Marshall, I plugged into an Origin 20 a few months ago. Really nice amp.

bluegrif

A lot of people who are less than impressed with the Origin have never played a live show with one. Sitting in isolation in my studio it’s just okay. But on stage, at volume and in a band mix, it can sound outstanding. Mine is the 20H which goes through a greenback in a rather large cab (big enough for a 2x12), and if you can’t get great tone out of that, it’s not the amp.

Daniel Travis

Tell us how you really feel about this... :)

I just did

I don't even play that style (edge of breakup) anymore. So in general I actually prefer el34 amps, now.

But to make a vast, generalizing blanket statement like that, is actually really stupid.

Daniel Travis

*has only played a pignose and a katana, in his entire life*

"Solid state is better than tube. It's just my opinion."

Seriously, your opinion doesn't matter then.

Trending Topics