• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Origin Effects RevivalDRIVE owners thread: Experience, biases, amps, tones, settings, stacking etc.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Guys/Gals that own the RevivalDRIVE,

With them finally starting to get in more folks hands, I thought it was finally a good time to start a thread specifically for pedal owners. I make a few comments below on things I'm interested in hearing about, but don't limit yourself to my list, let's hear about your experience with the pedal :)

Some things I'm looking forward to hearing about:
What amps are you using it with?
What tones are you getting/what tones were you hoping to get?
How are you setting the pedal to get your preferred tones?
What has been your experience stacking the pedal into something/something into the pedal?

When I say "biases" I mean, what preconceived ideas did you have when you decided to get the pedal? Now that you have it, what preconceived ideas were confirmed, which fell away?

My bias: I heard about Origin Effects a few years ago, and was very impressed with the fact that they seemed to concentrate on being awesome at a very limited pedal line, in their case compressors (stellar reviews and artist lineup). As a result, in late 2016 when I found out they were making an OD pedal I got on the waiting list right away. Something in my brain just said "If they are branching out, then they are going to make this thing very special." Don't know why I thought that because I didn't I own an OE product (or a compressor for that matter).

I must admit, I did not realize it was going to focus on vintage amp tones. So when they first announced it on March 1, I had already been on the list for over a year. Then the first demo (Jay Leonard J) came out, I thought it sounded great, but wasn't sure those were the tones I wanted. You know how it is, you may realize something is excellent, but that doesn't mean it is for you.

Anyway, I must say I think the pedal is amazing, and this from a guy with 14 other ODs. The tweakability is great and very quickly becomes intuitive. I use mine with two Brunetti amps, one EL84 and one 6V6. My goal is not to have it sound the same with each amp, but instead dial in different things that best go with that amp.

Ok let me stop talking and hear what you all have to say. :)

leonelh7

I have been pretty vocal about this pedal. It really sounds amazing. I have tried it with four different amps (Fender ML Hot Rod Deville, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Fender Vibro King and Mesa Boogie Lonestar. Through all of them I was able to get the same sounds. It loves compressors, fuzzes and boost. I have sold tons of ODs because of this pedal (VW Royal Overdrive and KOT were some that went). Does it cover all the tones I require? No. But it covers The tones of a Marshall that I struggle to get from tons of pedals. Yet it does more than just Marshall tones. There is VOX and Fender tones there too. I can’t dial in Dumble tones either which the VW was better but still not there. So I might but a Dumbleoid pedal for that.

I gotta say that I knew this pedal was going to be really good and I wasn’t shocked when it was.

Jacksteiner

Love mine a ton. using mine with a dr. Z cure and a maz 18. So many great sounds and I can get the modern thing out of it too. I just had to send mine in for a repair/had to slap the backup drives on the board and its very missed. For all the knobs, its fairly simple to dial in. I have a harder time finding a bad sound than good sounds.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
For those of you using both the Cali76/Sliderig and the RV I have 2 questions:

1. What order are you placing these 2 pedals in?

2. Are you adding a dedicated input buffer before all of this?

Thanks!

leonelh7

For those of you using both the Cali76/Sliderig and the RV I have 2 questions:

1. What order are you placing these 2 pedals in?

2. Are you adding a dedicated input buffer before all of this?

Thanks!
I don’t use buffers so I can’t comment on that but for the compressor I use a Cali76 going into the the RD. Sounds amazing that way.

Jazzandmore

With so many knobs and options, I would think you wouldn't need to stack this pedal.
But their intent was to make it with amp architecture to give the response of certain types of classic amps. In that case stacking a pedal into it makes a lot of sense, no different than using a pedal before an amp.

I put a Nordvang in front of it and with a P90 equipped guitar I got some really nice Van Weelden tones out of it. I had the Nord dialed in with Gain around 1:00 and Volume about 11:00, had the same settings for the Volume (Gain) and Output on the RD.

Switched guitars to one with Schaller humbuckers, these tend to be a bit mid voiced. Brought the Gain on the Nord down to 11:00, kept everything else the same on the RD, a little verb and a touch of delay at the end...Pure Santana :rolleyes:

leonelh7

But their intent was to make it with amp architecture to give the response of certain types of classic amps. In that case stacking a pedal into it makes a lot of sense, no different than using a pedal before an amp.

I put a Nordvang in front of it and with a P90 equipped guitar I got some really nice Van Weelden tones out of it. I had the Nord dialed in with Gain around 1:00 and Volume about 11:00, had the same settings for the Volume (Gain) and Output on the RD.

Switched guitars to one with Schaller humbuckers, these tend to be a bit mid voiced. Brought the Gain on the Nord down to 11:00, kept everything else the same on the RD, a little verb and a touch of delay at the end...Pure Santana :rolleyes:
Have you compared the midboost to the Nordvang and how much different they are? I would like to get one but it is expensive.

Jazzandmore

Have you compared the midboost to the Nordvang and how much different they are? I would like to get one but it is expensive.
I haven’t...but give me about an hour and I will :) I keep notes for settings so I’ll dial it right back in the way I had it. You want the VW tones or the Santana tones? Ha I don’t mean to imply I’m recording anything to post, the World Health Organization would not approve of that :confused:

Jazzandmore

Ok so I spent some time making some glorious Santana tones :rolleyes:

So when stacking the Nord into the RD, I use the silicone side of the RD and the settings I mentioned above. The Nord has switches for clipping, low freq and EQ. And of course the Gain on the Nord going into the RD is going to have an effect.

That being said, what I did was set up the Silicone side as normal and ran the Nord into it. I then moved toggle number 2 on the back of the pedal and set the "Valve" side to also be Silicone. Never done that before actually, then I used that side to try and dial in the same sounds I was getting from the other side with the Nord stacked into it.

To avoid being long winded, Yes it works to get some similar tones for this particular application. Midboost was assigned to that second side, I increased the amount of boost, and then all of my top dial settings (except for More/Presence) I increased slightly. Totally got me in a similar ballpark to stacking the Nord into the first side. If you have the foot pedal, then you can kick in the Blend Override and take it up a notch as well.

Edit: I was using the germanium side of the Nord for my tones.

Edit 2: Because the Nord is meant to be Klonish, I just now set it at the famed Gain at 0900 setting, with Volume around 1000. But I specifically used the Silicone clipping side for comparison to the RD's Silicone side. I could definitely set the RD to sound very similar to the Nord at a room sound level. However, when I cranked the Nord's Gain up, and did similar with the RD (everything else stayed the same), they definitely don't continue sounding the same. I guess no surprise there. The Nord is intended to push an amp, whereas the RD is covering the amp side by it's own. Nord stays fatter as the Gain goes up.

Likely not much help for helping you decide if you want a Nord or not o_O

Last edited:

leonelh7

Ok so I spent some time making some glorious Santana tones :rolleyes:

So when stacking the Nord into the RD, I use the silicone side of the RD and the settings I mentioned above. The Nord has switches for clipping, low freq and EQ. And of course the Gain on the Nord going into the RD is going to have an effect.

That being said, what I did was set up the Silicone side as normal and ran the Nord into it. I then moved toggle number 2 on the back of the pedal and set the "Valve" side to also be Silicone. Never done that before actually, then I used that side to try and dial in the same sounds I was getting from the other side with the Nord stacked into it.

To avoid being long winded, Yes it works to get some similar tones for this particular application. Midboost was assigned to that second side, I increased the amount of boost, and then all of my top dial settings (except for More/Presence) I increased slightly. Totally got me in a similar ballpark to stacking the Nord into the first side. If you have the foot pedal, then you can kick in the Blend Override and take it up a notch as well.

Edit: I was using the germanium side of the Nord for my tones.

Edit 2: Because the Nord is meant to be Klonish, I just now set it at the famed Gain at 0900 setting, with Volume around 1000. But I specifically used the Silicone clipping side for comparison to the RD's Silicone side. I could definitely set the RD to sound very similar to the Nord at a room sound level. However, when I cranked the Nord's Gain up, and did similar with the RD (everything else stayed the same), they definitely don't continue sounding the same. I guess no surprise there. The Nord is intended to push an amp, whereas the RD is covering the amp side by it's own. Nord stays fatter as the Gain goes up.

Likely not much help for helping you decide if you want a Nord or not o_O
Yeah not sure if I want a Nord. Still not convinced I need it.

Last edited:

tguyfr

What are you finding so far in terms of how the different controls interact for your needs?
I haven’t decided yet if my amp (Matchless King Cobra) really needs the Revival. The pedal covers the same territory than the amp. I’m sure the RD is great with Fender-style amps. So I’ll wait a while before deciding to keep it or not.

rreiser

Silver Supporting Member
I just got the standard model and have a few questions . I also emailed Simon on this. When I turn the output control all the way counterclockwise I still have sound coming out. Is that the way your pedal works ? If I have the volume (gain) down I notice that the bright-cap in the GB setting adds quite a bit of gain. Just checking if that is normal. When I engage the pedal there is a slight lag before the sound comes on. I experienced this with the Van Wheelden RO . Not a big deal but curious if others noticed. All of this is minor as this one hell of a pedal. Only question now is should I get the Custom version ? Thanks

Last edited:

wallaceSnr

I just got the standard model and have a few questions . I also emailed Simon on this. When I turn the output control all the way counterclockwise I still have sound coming out. Is that the way your pedal works ? If I have the volume (gain) down I notice that the bright-cap in the GB setting adds quite a bit of gain. Just checking if that is normal. When I engage the pedal there is a slight lag before the sound comes on. I experienced this with the Van Wheelden RO . Not a big deal but curious if others noticed. All of this is minor as this one hell of a pedal. Only question now is should I get the Custom version ? Thanks
Keep an eye on where the dry gain and blend are set when doing the above.
They make a huge difference.
:beer

charley

Gold Supporting Member
Just powered up my Revival Drive Custom and foot switch....

Initial impressions are that it is an excellent product. After a first run through, I would say that the external footswitch is necessary. I was able to set up a total of 6 sounds:

1. Silver side with 60/40 clean blend....60% clean. This is an “always on” sound. I’m using it like I do my Tim pedal’s regular channel....just to add a bit of pleasant break up while not being a “dirty sound.”

2. Orange Side the same as the silver, with GB selected as the preamp. This is a good “edge of breakup” rhythm sound.

3. Clean Blend Override (footswitch). This gives me a bit more break up on both sides of the pedal, and equals two additional sounds.

4. Mid Boost (footswitch). This gives me a full on lead sound for each channel, and equals two more sounds.

Still, I think something like a tubescreamer, fuzz, or whatever additional drive type pedal is still needed for full on searing leads....and this applies to classic/vintage sounds as well as high gain type leads. I am more of a “classic” player, FYI.

Not quite sure if I will keep it. Gonna play with it for a bit. I will say that after trying the RD and FS, I was very happy. However, after replacing them with a Tubescreamer and Tim, I was no less happy.

We’ll see what happens over the next few days. I really think this is a top notch product, but at $700, it forces some real thought as to whether I can afford to keep it.....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom