Origin Sliderig, not for slide?

omfg51

DISCLAIMER: I don't play slide whatsoever!

I'm looking into adding a compressor to my board and I was pretty set on the SP by Xotic, but the Sliderig is on my radar now as well.

I like the idea of the SP because it is very simple and can be used very subtly, specifically as a very mild compression, or even just a clean boost. I don't want to squish the tone a lot, at least not noticeably in a mix, and the SP seems like it would do that very well. I don't really necessarily want the "compressed" sound, I'd just like to add some volume and sustain.

I'd use it on the "Lo" switch setting, with the blend slightly below noon and the volume up enough to give a slight volume boost, and I'd use it essentially as a clean boost, adding some volume and sustain.

I recently discovered the compact Origin effects, and the Sliderig in particular appealed to me for its focus on sustain for slide players. I personally won't use a pedal like that for slide, but I was curious about any opinions for players who have used it for NON slide playing, and what they thought of it.

dirtandstones

Silver Supporting Member
I have used it in that manner. With how you're talking about setting it you may like the regular compact or compact deluxe over the slide rig though. The slide rig if I'm not mistaken is 2 compressors cascaded together to give massive amounts of sustain/compression for, well, slide. Now you can get some pretty cool squished effects with it while playing regular guitar or a really dramatic 'Chickin Pickin' sound. Is that what you're wanting??

tubekingsley

I have used it in that manner. With how you're talking about setting it you may like the regular compact or compact deluxe over the slide rig though. The slide rig if I'm not mistaken is 2 compressors cascaded together to give massive amounts of sustain/compression for, well, slide. Now you can get some pretty cool squished effects with it while playing regular guitar or a really dramatic 'Chickin Pickin' sound. Is that what you're wanting??
Yes- Sliderig is two compressors cascading, at all times. The stomp switch simply switches back and forth between two different eq settings. You could use it as a standard compressor with single coils, but it's a bit much with humbuckers. It's a lot of compression, especially at stage volume.

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
I would get the regular version with the blend---

Walrus Deep Six has great Comp w/ blend for way under the Origin price point

Trending Topics