Original 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb advice wanted!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jawcali, Apr 9, 2015.

1. jawcali

jawcali Member

Hey all! I have a 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb that is 99% original and in fantastic condition. Literally, the only thing changed is a re-cone of the original speaker as well as the installation of the modern 3 prong power chord. Every single filter cap, socket, tube and wire is 100% original. The amp appears to have very little use on it and cosmetically is in great condition.

The thing hums/hisses very loudly with any single coil guitar. - Way more than what you'd normally get with single coil guitars.

My question is pretty simple. This is almost at a collector level because of it's originality and condition but I really want her to operate properly. Would taking her in for a cap / electrolytic update effect the value of this amp in a negative way? If so, does anyone have experience in doing this? I'm also worried about her potentially loosing that original mojo. Lastly, if anyone knows of a great amp tech in the Denver area, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

-J

Guitars: Fender Custom Shop Wildwood 57 Strat Relic, Fender 52 reissue Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Equator Full Koa Hollowbody Mini, 1973 Martin D-45.

Chain: (all effects run into One Control CrocodileTail Loop OC10 Loop switcher/ Midi) Dunlop GCb95 Wah > Analogman King of Tone > Analogman TS9 808 Silver > Analogman Maxon SD9 Silver > Wampler Euphoria > original Ross Compressor > Digitech Whammy II > Mu-FX Tru-Tron 3X> Strymon Mobius > Strymon Timeline > Ernie Ball Volume > Booss RC300 Loop Station > Original 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb

2. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

For collectors value, anything you replace will impact it. Caps are a necessary replacement for proper operation of something that old, but if anyone wants to play it in the future it should probably be done.

3. MVrider

MVrider Member

NBS Electronics. Fat Willie knows old Fenders. Not sure if Stubby is still around but he is excellent as well.

4. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

With original blackface amps pushing 50+ years old, I believe a lot of people (owners and prospective buyers) are slowly resigning to the fact that they MUST have AT LEAST an electrolytic cap change, to ensure more years of playing.

People like to be selfish and ignore what's best for the amp.

I'm seeing more and more original blackfaces with replaced transformers, the heart of the beast. The owners say "I was jamming and then the amp just quit." It's tragic and completely avoidable by doing the necessary updates. I think people are starting to realize this.

Don't walk on thin ice. Do right by the amp.

Just my opinion.

5. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

The day a Deluxe Reverb becomes fodder for the collecionistas, is the day I start calling people out.

..just the wild ravings of a guitar player trying to level some perspective on the collective "gear junkies".

Get it seviced by someone who knows 'em, and enjoy one of the best products Leo Fender ever made.:aok

6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

My '67 SFDR became unusably noisy so I had it re-capped by David Allen. Much better now.

-bEn r.

7. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Yup, exactly.

Not only are aged caps bad for your amp, they just plain sound bad.

If you want your amp to sound like original-1966-out-of-the-factory, have a tech get those leaky, tired, sketchy lytics out of there.

8. reade

reade Member

Just keep the old parts.

9. jawcali

jawcali Member

Thanks for that! I actually just got off the phone with him, funny old man! He's backed up a few months for work, do you know of anyone else in Denver? Thanks a ton!

10. jawcali

jawcali Member

Is David Allen a local Denver guy? If so, do you have any contact info?

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    No, he's in Kentucky. Any tech worth his salt has done a ton of Fenders...there are lots of them around. It doesn't require super special skills, just good tube amp skills.

Don't know anyone else in Denver though.

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

:aok This, The highest value ones have all original. But they are for collectors not players.

Does it not hiss/hum with humbuckers? If so it may not be the amp. Do you have fluorescent lights?

It may need filter caps... actually it DOES need filter caps! If you have the elytics replaced, make sure your tech does a proper job. I've run into a bunch of amps lately (3 in a month!) where the tech simply soldered the new caps to the old clipped cap leads. That's the fast, cheap and crappy way to do it. You want him to evacuate the turret holes and put the caps in properly.
    Also... make sure he doesn't touch the blue Ajax/Mallorys! Or if he insists one is bad ...tell him you want to old cap back. I ran into one amp where those were all replaced by a tech with orange drops! You can bet he sold them on Ebay for about $20 apiece! A'hole...

13. MVrider

MVrider Member

StubbyFex if he's still around.

14. jawcali

jawcali Member

This is where I'm torn. I'm wondering just how much of a negative impact it will have to start replacing caps etc. Any guess?

Great question...It's weird because My LP doesn't hum as much, neither does my Equator Hollowbody that has Seymour Duncan 59's in it. My Tele is noisy as ****, but it has all custom shop Pups in it (twisted Tele in bridge and nowcaster in neck, and my start is noisy only on the 1, 3, and 5 settings. I am not near any fluorescent lights though....