Original and reissue TS808

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Well we all know that this is one of the most, if not the most sought after, most cloned, standard of standards overdrive pedal.

But are they still sought after in your opinion? I just don't see lots of people have these on their boards anymore. Are people still buying the vintage ones or the reissue is just as good?

I had a reissue when it first came out and I also had the "hand wired" version. And I think they are great! I've never played an original though, but I'm sure that the reissues are not that far fetched from the real deal.

What do you think? I have a real deal coming in the mail!! :)

Last edited:

ccpa

I had the reissue and liked it but it was noisy. Sold it after I got a burst E.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
Really? I didn't find it that noisy. Just a nice smooth sounding overdrive.

Tuberattler

I like mine a lot. I had a real one and sold it when big $$$ were offered, got a RI and realistically the Original one sounded rounder and softer with slightly less mid hump whereas the RI sounded Crisper and harder with a more defined mid hump..

The RI sounds better live or with people but I don't miss the high dollar original as I still use the RI, I just don't like the fact it doesn't have a standard power supply jack.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I just find that the whole fascination on the tubescreamer really diminished the past few years. :(

I still use a RI Ts808 and a Modded Analogman TS9 sometimes.
What is really crazy is I got one of the first shipment of Behringer to800's in a few years back and put it up against an original 808 and a modded 9 and in a blind taste test could not hear a difference. Kinda pissed me off..Live and learn I guess.A good Tubescreamer is a good tubescreamer regardless of where it comes from.
Analogman info and opinion on the subject.
http://www.analogman.com/ts9.htm#ts808

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I hear you. I personally just want to get one for collecting purposes. I've used an MJM Blues Devil (just like yours) for almost 11 years. And now recently upgraded to a MJM Phantom. :)

I hear you. I personally just want to get one for collecting purposes. I've used an MJM Blues Devil (just like yours) for almost 11 years. And now recently upgraded to a MJM Phantom. :)

Hopefully you can find a deal on an original for your collection. Maybe even lose some unused gear to pay for it.. Good luck..:aok

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
bandofthieves™;10752908 said:
Hopefully you can find a deal on an original for your collection. Maybe even lose some unused gear to pay for it.. Good luck..:aok
I just did! Thanks!

Rockerduck

I got the RI one and Analogman turned it into a TV(true vintage) for me and it is on my board. Sounds great with my Marshall. It was over a year or more ago and it is the original vintage parts build.

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
I got the RI one and Analogman turned it into a TV(true vintage) for me and it is on my board. Sounds great with my Marshall. It was over a year or more ago and it is the original vintage parts build.
TRue vintage? :confused:

Heady Jam Fan

I think most people nowadays who want that tone go with the TS9 Analogman Silver Mod. I had two, just sold one, probably keep the other one indefinitely.

I think most people nowadays who want that tone go with the TS9 Analogman Silver Mod. I had two, just sold one, probably keep the other one indefinitely.
Great Pedal for sure and I agree with what you are saying,but not what someone gets when they want to have an original 808 in their collection;).Believe that was the original subject.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've got an original and compared to $400 RBBPs and $600 LDOs it's a great sounding pedal and a pretty good deal (you can still find them for $400 and they'll still be worth good money in 30 years when no one is likely to remember Rock Box or Landgraff).

Heady Jam Fan

bandofthieves™;10754763 said:
Great Pedal for sure and I agree with what you are saying,but not what someone gets when they want to have an original 808 in their collection;).Believe that was the original subject.
Well, OP asked why they are less common, the TS9 Silver is more similar to the vintage than the new stock TS9, so it a very good option without the excessive cost. So I was answering the OP's question as to why they may not be as common.

Trending Topics