Original bands..Why do you do it?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Heinz57Pep, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

1. It's much more satisfying to get a positive response to my own music than someone else's.

2. Playing originals is easier. My own style and ideas come out of me naturally, whereas trying to cop the nuance of someone else's style and ideas does not.

3. These days I prefer to play out less frequently. Fewer opportunities for original bands comprised of old guys = fewer gigs.

4. I'd rather play one 45-50 minute set a night than three or four.

5. See #1.

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

pretty much exactly the reasons you listed.

its more fun.

its more creative which is more more rewarding.

i think the venues you play are cooler because you are the main attraction and aren't meant to be background noise in a sports bar with tvs going.

you are actually expressing yourself instead of recreating someone else's expression.

i don't want to try to sound like someone else, i want to sound like me.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I'd stop playing before I played covers. I absolutely despise covers and cover bands.

I am more capable of intelligently and respectfully discussing politics and religion than I am covers vs. originals.

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I saw Campilongo earlier this week--he played one set for like 45 minutes and was done.

People call that a "gig" as much as playing a typical cover gig for four hours.

I can see the appeal of playing one set, no doubt.

5. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

Lol, that's an awesome way to place the proper emphasis on that sentiment.

6. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Because it's art...creative and fun

7. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

The reason I started playing guitar all those years ago.

8. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I enjoy writing as much or more than playing.

9. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I write music. I write lyrics.

Nobody else is going to play them, so I guess it has to be me.

10. slybird

slybird Member

I love the creation. I love the experimentation. I love the writing. I love getting the sounds in my head out of my fingers, the amp, and the band. The only reason to play live for me is my band mates want to. Personally I would just record and never play live.

I retire pieces after about a year. After a while I don't like playing my band's original pieces for some of the same reasons I don't like playing covers. After a time it is like doing a cover of yourself.

This gets me to other old bands that do reunion tours. At one point they chose to do original material, then they choose to become to just be a tribute bands of their younger selves. Why? What changed? Did they get tired of writing new material? Is the money for doing the old hits that good?

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

Generally, the level of performance/energy expended is a LOT higher for a pro original act.

They put a lot into that 90-minute set.

12. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I love EVH's playing style and have copped some of his licks but I have never wanted to sound anything like him
    I love Allan Holdsworth's playing style and i have never wanted to sound like him

even when i did play in cover bands i would never cop the guitar tones of each song exactly.
    It would always be close enough for R'n'R...

when I have been in a situation to present my original ideas they were always met with enthusiasm from the other musicians and audiences seemed to respond well to them
    I currently don't pursue putting out my own stuff because i'm stuck on "why bother?"
    so many great artists are releasing new music each and every day
    why does the world need to hear my music?
    it doesn't
    so why bother...?
    i'm content just playing and being able to express my musical ideas
    sometimes i play with the windows open and once in awhile some birds will stop to check it out, they seemed intrigued by the sound...

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

One of the bands that I play with is an originals band. It didn't start out to be but that's what it turned out to be. It has become a great platform for trying new things, new ideas, and cameraderie.

14. Turi

Turi Member

I do original stuff mixed into basically a cover gig. :/

There's no way you'd get a 45 minute gig here with an originals act... and who wants to hear over 45 minutes of original music? Nobody.

Has to be mixed into covers to get a chance to play them out.
    I've got some original stuff in my sig.

I really do prefer to play originals but eh, you just can't SOLELY play originals unless you don't want to gig... and I want to gig. :/

15. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

That sucks. We have a polarized scene here and the two do not intersect. We have some great places for original music and have been lucky to play out as much as we want, when we want.

One time, a band cancelled and we got to play for two hours, which was cool. We were fortunate that we had been around and had two cds out, so we had plenty of music. I'm nicely located right between NYC and Philly too, so we never had a shortage of nice venues.

A cover band would get tossed out of the clubs we play as quickly as a crowd would turn on an originals band at the covers clubs.

16. Turi

Turi Member

That sounds amazing. I wish my local scene was like that.

In my town, there's four pubs. Two are actually owned by Woolworths (or whoever owns Woolworths) - that's a big supermarket chain here.
    They have some pretty serious noise restrictions and get up you if you're too loud also, no drums at either of their pubs.
    Not sure if that's they're rule, or just a coincidence that the pub owners at both those pubs don't like drums.
    Either way, rule 'em out for full band stuff - still alright for solo acoustic stuff.

The other two allow drums and let you really get into it - but they're always booked out months to a year in advance, and really favour cover bands - as they should, these are the two pubs that regularly pull good numbers, and more people get into cover bands than originals.

Just how it is here. Man, I'd give anything to live in an area with a thriving original scene!
    You do kinda feel like you're "selling out" doing covers all night - I can't do it - I always throw in an original or two.

I've noticed that if you don't tell anyone it's an original, people kinda stay where they are.. which is a good thing, just tell them when the songs over.

Pulling out originals isn't any different to whipping out some Gaslight Anthem track that wasn't a single (yet still amazing) anyway, I suppose.

But man. You got places that actually cater for originals.. I'm jealous!

17. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Originals are more fun. I like the creative process and the creative expression. I like it when an original song gets a true, genuine positive reaction. Being in a cover band is ok as long as you like the tunes you're playing and the crowd does too, but that's a very narrow target to hit. Usually I've gotten sick of playing the same old sh*t over and over, and I'm having to play the same songs every other cover band is playing, so it gets tiresome. Then it's nice slip in a few equally-cool but lesser-known covers from those same groups just to keep it fresh and fun, but then no one in the room wants to hear anything but the hits and expects you to be a jukebox. I've never had to deal with that garbage playing originals.

18. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

I would NEVER play in a cover band. That **** sounds more like a job. I like doing covers mixed into a set of mostly originals, but we make them our own.

When I see some 80's cover band playing 4 hours, I can't help but to think, Why? I sure as hell have better things to do with my time than cop someone's material.

I'd rather do my 45-60 min set of music I want to play and call it job done.

YMMV

19. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I have the pleasure of working with a couple of incredible songwriters. Getting to be the one that helps bring their visions to life? That's priceless.

I write too, but not as prolifically or well.

20. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

All of those covers some of you play. They were once somebody's original song. Somebody has to come up with new songs. Besides, it gives me a chance to be snarky as I want and when someone gets upset I can say, "It's not me, it's the character in the song that's saying that."