Original Carvin X100B amp owners, Need Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrecoVee, Aug 29, 2008.

1. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Hey Carvin X100B owners!
    Can you tell me the difference between the earliest model X100B's with the black tolex covering and the chrome corners and the later gray carpet covered model X100B's?
    Or are they basicly the same amp?
    Is one better than the other?
    Seems like I remember the earlier one had a slightly different layout on the controls.
    I'm looking to buy a gray carpet covered one that has a larger "Carvin" logo than the originals. Played thru it today and it sounded pretty good. Only problem is it doen't come with a footswitch. It's a three pin input that looks like it takes a mic cord with a cannon type end.
    Does anyone know where I could get an original foot switch for this amp if I end up getting it?
    Thanks for any info. Guys!!;)

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

I'm not an X100 owner, and I can't tell you exactly the diffeences between the models. But check here and you should be able to find the info: http://www.carvinmuseum.com/ If not, ask on the forums there and the folks will probably give you the scoop.

Also, re the footswitch, check with Bundy on the forum there at the museum, he was making footswitches for those amps for awhile, he can probably help you out.

3. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

cool! that site is back up!

4. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Thanks hasserl!,
    I belive I've been on that site sometime in the past, I'll check it out!

5. JerryP

JerryP Member

From what I've seen, the tolex amps came with 6L6's and the carpet amps came with EL34's. The X100 amps have at least 5 different circuits they used. The early amps where quite a bit different from the later amps.
    Jerry

6. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I had an 80 model (or about) when they came out and a few afterwards. I cant remember all the differences but I know I liked the original version better than the following years models. Carvin added more drive and I felt this took away the character the amp had.. I dont know if they added diodes or what. the 80 ish model I had sounded great.

7. telelion

telelion Member

Agree with the above. The early 6L6 especially with the EV-12 were great in the clean department. You would have a tough time finding an amp as good for high power pristine clean Fender tone today. The OD channel was acceptable for it's time, now it would not cut it. Later, the EL-34 and the grey carpet ones I thought were a step down

I believe that one advantage the legendary cleans were so good was because it had one volume on the clean channel. Nowadays in almost all cases one volume means an amp that is not designed for high headroom clean and is designed to be pushed. The channel switchers though and most other cleaner amps always have a gain or two volumes. If you want cleans as good as Leo, IMO, you need one volume dedicated for clean. Just like for pristine Fender clean you run the guitar volume on ten.

8. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Yes, this one has the EL34's
    I actually played it thru two different 4x12 cabs. First one had Greenback 25's in it, it might have been the speakers but the amp really sounded good with just a little tweeking. Second cab I played it thru was a Marshall Vintage/Modern, not sure what those have for speakers in them but the amp still sounded pretty good.
    Oh yeah, the clean sound with the reverb on blew me away! It could easily give any vintage Fender a run for their money! I'm not kidding!
    Only thing is it doen't have a footswitch! It looks like a weird one that plugs into the back with a female cannon type mic cable, not your normal easy to find 1/4 inch footswitch. That's the only thing that sucks about it! Well, it's only $350. and in great shape, I'm pretty sure I'll go and pick it up tomarrow.

9. RyanPitch

RyanPitch Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of these and my favorite one is an awesome, awesome amp. I've also owned Rivera KR100, Bogner XTC 101b, and now a Soldano Decatone.

I've had them with EL34 and 6L6 tubes. I keep one with 6L6s for my Tele on clean channel sound (recording). My favorite one, though is the old 80's black tolex (originally with 6L6s) with EL34s put in. The thing rules for grinding, chunking, lead, openness. It's raw and uncompressed, but with the gain pushed up, you can still get a good pinch harmonic. I play it with my SG standard or PRS McCarty.

All of the other gray carpet ones, to me, sounded worse and a little more compressed. The reviews above are really accurate. They might've added some gain or something.

As far as your footswitch issue, you can take any 2-button footswitch and solder on an XLR end to it. It'll work with your Carvin. I've done this for 2 or 3 of these amps. The one pin you probably *don't* want to connect (since you won't have 3 buttons) is the effects loop on/off. But you'll have channel switching and reverb switching with no problem.

You can also buy a 3-button pedal from a guy on Ebay. I think he's called "Voodooman" or "Voodoomanswitches" or something like that. I've cut the 1/4" end off of a Mesa footswitch and soldered on a Whirlwind or Neutrik XLR end on it and it works fine. I bet you could order a stock HOSA footswitch with an XLR end or something too.

Hope that helps.

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've had a ~1986 X100B 6L6 pre-hotrod for a decade. These are basically BF Bassman circuits at 100 watts with active EQ, extra channel, effects loop, etc. The active EQ is extremely helpful in making the amp get BF tones, tweed tones, and plexi tones. Works great with pedals.

Later versions change the circuit to get better high gain tones at the expense of low gain tones. I'll stick to mine and use pedals, but these are still great amps for the price.

Sounds great with 2 THD yellowjackets in combo with 2 6L6s.

11. telelion

telelion Member

No wonder when I compared mine a few years back just before selling an old BF Bassman head that the sounds were almost indistinquishable. I played them both through the EV of the Carvin and as spectacular as they both sounded, the Bassman was very slightly bigger/wider but with the exact same voicing.

For the dozenth time and I will continue to repeat it, to get that good a pristine sound, you must have only one volume control. No gain, no master, etc. Why so few do it in channel switchers when the desire is to achieve as good a sound as noted above is beyond me. Like the Egnator MOd 50 and preamp models for instance. Make channel one have one volume control.

Ryan, you got it right about the X's and Teles for clean.

12. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I ended up buying the amp for $300. even. I havn't had a chance to mess with the tubes but I think a better set of pre amp tubes might smooth it out a little. Not a bad amp at all for the price I couldn't pass it up.

13. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Thanks for the footswitch info. Ryan!:BEER

14. carltonh

carltonh Member

Still using 2 THD Yellowjackets with 2 6L6s. Ran the X100B through a 1x12 open back cab with a Red Fang and was able to get quite close to Vox AC30 sounds. It still had a little of a Bassman like bass response but still close if you can imagine that.