Original Cases - Needed for Resale?????

aram

Hey everyone,

I have some old Gibson acoustics from the 30s that came with the original cases. The original cases are ****, so I have new cases for them now, but I've been hanging on to the originals in case I ever need/want to resell them, which I don't think will ever happen, but you can never be so sure: I might get really into 80s glam metal at some point and decide I need a Jackson.

So I have these cases that take up a lot of room and given the fact that my apartment is small I was thinking I'd either bring them down to the local guitar shop for free, or just trash them.

Just wondering if anyone out there has EXPERIENCE selling with vs without old cases. Does it effect value?

My sense is that it doesn't really make a difference. It's not like it's a 59 burst case or a 50s tele case, but you never know.

M

Member 161675

I bought some Stinkers( cases ) I'll just trash the case , don't want them in my house. Unless it's something going in a museum , I wouldn't care.
The best part about putting a stinky case out with the trash is, some idiot always slams on there brakes thinking there's a guitar in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Need to include original case if you can.

Increases the value. I have bought and sold older Gibson archtops with and without the original case. Affected pricing.

Guitarworks

You dont have to have it to sell, but if you're selling the guitar as a collectible, then the collector will want the case to come with it.

aram

Need to include original case if you can.

Increases the value. I have bought and sold older Gibson archtops with and without the original case. Affected pricing.

Thanks man! That's the answer I was looking for - someone who actually has experience with it weighing in. Appreciate it!

m@2

Yep, I've totally been there... I keep original (and often s**ty) cases i for when I sell them down the road. Always helped with sale and valuation. but yah, a PITA to store

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
Do not trash them, do not give them away. Just deal with the space. It's like looking at houses...location and neighborhood are king (condition and model of guitar), but a finished basement (original documentation, case etc.) is a nice plus.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Depends entirely on the case. I haven't used the original case for my old strat in a very long time. Not about to throw it away though ... has to be a plus to have that should the strat ever have to go. Same would go for older, high quality archtop cases. Such as vintage Lifton cases, the tweed Geib cases that came stock with some vintage gibson lap steels.

One I will trash is the stock case that came with my 60s silverone 1427. A huge, unwieldy, low quality mess of case. Fits the guitar so badly, it's an invitation to damage just using the thing. It is destined for bulky waste pickup.
MD

27sauce

Hey everyone,

I have some old Gibson acoustics from the 30s that came with the original cases. The original cases are ****, so I have new cases for them now, but I've been hanging on to the originals in case I ever need/want to resell them, which I don't think will ever happen, but you can never be so sure: I might get really into 80s glam metal at some point and decide I need a Jackson.

So I have these cases that take up a lot of room and given the fact that my apartment is small I was thinking I'd either bring them down to the local guitar shop for free, or just trash them.

Just wondering if anyone out there has EXPERIENCE selling with vs without old cases. Does it effect value?

My sense is that it doesn't really make a difference. It's not like it's a 59 burst case or a 50s tele case, but you never know.

What cases are they? They might also be cases for more valuable guitars as well. Or a rare variant...

Matt L

That ES-355 in my profile pic came with a beat to $hi£ original case that stunk like rubber from the old stereo cable in the pocket. I bought a new Gibson Custom case for it, and gave the case back to the previous owner so he could sell it himself.

DustyRhodesJr

The black mold inside the case can kill your whole family, but you will get $10 extra on
the sale so you need to keep them. :D:D

Seriously, if at all possible, keep the cases. On a really old guitar, the original case could
add a couple hundred to the sale.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
Keep the original case(s) if you have them - I would and do. IMO, it's the right thing to do. Non-original cases have never kept me from buying a guitar. However, when that does occur, I search for and acquire a proper, era correct case for the guitar(s). Sometimes those bad boys can cost lotsa money.

That said, I expect the price to be adjusted for the lack of a non-OHSC, just as I expect the price to be greater for the same brand/model with OHSC.

For example, listing an '82 Gibson Korina Flying V without its original case may linger in the marketplace a bit longer than an equal condition model with its OHSC. And the one with the OHSC will fetch more money. But a collector who acquires this example guitar with a gig bag may pay good money for an OHSC to 'complete' the guitar.

Top Bottom