Original Floyd Rose tuning issues - help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by johnny q, Aug 13, 2006.

1. johnny q

johnny q Member

I just raised the action on my Floyd Rose bridge by turning the 2 screws. This particular guitar is routed so you can also pull up on the bar. This Floyd has stood in perfect tune for about 20 years. Problem now is, after the action adjustment, it stays in perfect tune when doing a "dive bomb" but when pulling up on the bar, it does not come back in tune, it stays sharp. If I press down on the bar, it goes back in tune. Anyone know what could be wrong??

JQ

2. Gradinger

Gradinger Member

Three possibilities: The mounting studs could be loose in their holes after much wanging, the pivot points on the trem aren't sharp anymore, or the fulcrum points on the studs are worn.

3. johnny q

johnny q Member

Any idea why the problem started only after raising the bridge (action)?? Before I touched it, you couldnt knock it out of tune if you tried.

JQ

4. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Did you resetup the floating angle of the floyd after adjusting the trem studs?

5. johnny q

johnny q Member

Nope - nothing changed at all. The angle of the bridge is exactly the same - flush w/ the body. The number of springs are the same, the string guage/brand is the same. Whats realy weird is that it stays in tune when pressing down, but goes way out of tune when pulling up.

6. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

thank gawd i never went the floyd route.

7. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Well, it might be knife edges... it IS 20 years old, and the slight change in point of contact with the trem posts, might have finally thrown it off wack?

Perhaps some lub on the knife edges might solve it? Or re-sharpen the knife edges.

Or might be worn trem posts...

8. johnny q

johnny q Member

I suspected the knife edges myself, but I find it strange that it stays in perfect tune when doing a dive-bomb (pressing down) but stays way sharp when pulling up. Its a bummer, this thing couldnt be knocked out of tune before if I tried. I guess a short term solution is "don't pull up!":)

9. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Yeah, it's the edges. Some new studs and a sharpening of the baseplate edges will fix it right up.

10. Koa-Dogg

Koa-Dogg Supporting Member

I'm no expert, but by raising the studs slightly, the springs are pulling on the back side of the tremlo a tiny bit more (stretching the springs more). Maybe you need a slight adjustment to the springs.

11. jhczar

jhczar Supporting Member

Spend some time on Ibanezrules.com. Rich Harris has a great section on fixing worn knife edges on FR trems, particcularly Ibanez Edge trems.

12. Dan O

Dan O Member

I have the EXACT same problem. It's not age because I bought a brand new guitar. The action was high. As soon as I adjusted the mounting studs, the strings go sharp if I move the tremolo bar up.

Were you able to figure out the solution?

13. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I have this exact problem, only on a new guitar with a new OFR.

Any ideas?

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

good suggestions all, but before you go ruining what may be perfectly good knife edges, try a quick test: does your bar still "flutter" or "trill" when you flick it? if so, the posts and knife edges are still good. bad edges would come back flat on dives as well as sharp on pull-backs.

now take the back plate off and look at your springs: they might be rubbing against the top of the cavity, since your action adjustment has just brought them closer to the "roof" of the trem cavity. for that matter, the block might be touching the sides of the cavity.

or, the springs might be shifting if they close all the way up on bar pull-backs. if so, try pulling one out and tightening the two screws to bring your bar back to level. this will keep the remaining springs taught no matter how far back the bridge goes.

15. johnny q

johnny q Member

This makes PERFECT sense and I am going to try this asap.

16. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the springs. Original FLoyds are generally rock steady, mine is after 20 years of dive bombing. The springs can bind a bit, especially since they might be fatigued. I'd replace them and get a pro setup.

17. Kevan

Kevan Member

18. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

*UPDATE*

I just put a little 3 In One oil on my Floyd posts. Fixed it right up.

19. johnny q

johnny q Member

I'm jealous!!! Mine still stays sharp when pulling up, but not when doing dive bombs - weird. Springs are new, so I dont think its that. However, I didnt try the 3 in 1 oil trick - thats next!

20. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Try it, I figured it works for non Floyd nut slots so why not?

A little goes a long way BTW. I used a twisty tie to get it in there, and worked the Floyd posts to get it even. I didn't even have to pull the bridge off.