• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Original Fuzz?

Le Daniele

i really like my hoof...oops, russian muff hybrid.

umm...my fuzz factory? oops, treble booster into fuzzface.

err...my old pharaoh? nope, tricked-out muff.

my old musket? nope, another tricked-out russian muff.

my fuzzhugger ab-synth? two bazz fusses in series.

dammit OP, why'd you have to imply that i sound like everyone else because i use pedals which are based on clones of classic circuits :( i would think think that my playing would differentiate me from everyone else.

and ironically enough, if a new fuzz design is so good it becomes a classic, it will be cloned and modified. therefore taking you back to square one. you hipster, you.
Easy man, I'm not implying anything about anyone, this post is meant for entertaining and cultural purposes only. Sorry if I have offended you in any way.

I'm looking for a new fuzz box, and I'm looking for different options, I can talk about the stuff I currently own:

A) MXR Blue Box, have been for more than 30 years in the market and it doesn't get used that much as other famous fuzz boxes.
B) Joe Gore Trilobite Fuzz, somewhat like a Fuzzrite, but really its own thing.

I know almost every dirt pedal is based on older designs, but it doesn't have to be an exact clon, some tweaks and you got a new sound. I'm not talking about style, techique or feeling.

That's why I asked a out the pharaoh, because in the demos didn't sound like a Big Muff at all, and I'm guessing it's not even its porpose.

Regards.

DanHorse

That's why I asked a out the pharaoh, because in the demos didn't sound like a Big Muff at all, and I'm guessing it's not even its porpose.

Regards.
Oh no, the Pharaoh is its own ruler of pre-muffery. Big, blowesy, loose, tight, much gain, low gain, it defies you too usurp its crown - and a curse on you if you do. ....

(sorry, im at work and bored as hell...)

rybass

Use your playing to sound like yourself, doesn't matter what box you use.
Nah because I can't really get a muffy fuzz tone out of my princeton, tonebender and tele without, well, a muffy fuzz in there as well.

The different Maestro fuzzes seem to be making a comeback as well as the octave fuzzes. I have one of each on my DIY pile that I need to finish up.

LowWatt

Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe. Lot's of different original tones in there Watch the video through to hear all the variations of the theme in there.

Le Daniele

Nah because I can't really get a muffy fuzz tone out of my princeton, tonebender and tele without, well, a muffy fuzz in there as well.

The different Maestro fuzzes seem to be making a comeback as well as the octave fuzzes. I have one of each on my DIY pile that I need to finish up.
My exact feelings. I also play with single coils and Princeton Reverb. Being such a clean amp (at least in the setting I use it), you can really feel the differences between different fuzz boxes.

rybass

My exact feelings. I also play with single coils and Princeton Reverb. Being such a clean amp (at least in the setting I use it), you can really feel the differences between different fuzz boxes.
Absolutely! This amp has solidified every thought I've ever had about gear getting different tones depending on how the user mixes and matches different pieces. The clarity of the amp really lets the pedal's individual qualities standout.

Maestro MFz-1 for consideration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTC7QHl-ek&feature=relmfu

Le Daniele

If you're into that kind of sound, look for the Joe Gore Trilobite Fuzz, ugly, buzzy and nasty. Perfect for garage, spaghetti western and alike. Similar to a Fuzzrite but less ear piercing highs and lots of bass.

I used to have a Vox ac4tv and they didn't get along very well, so I sold the amp! My Princeton Reissue loves it though...

azrael

Don't worry about being 100% original, worry about being good first. Now back to teh fuzz of the month...

I think the MOST unique fuzz circuit is the Lovetone Big Cheese, which I will likely get a clone of soon
Basically a Fuzz Face with input and and output buffers. So not all that unique.

champion ruby

That isn't what I meant. Just that you don't need a unique fuzz to sound original...

bobbradley

Fuzz factory tons of killer sounds for those of us that understand how a gate works. Also a totally original circuit. Its ground breaking really, in a world of clones and recycled ideals. That said it is no where near my favorite fuzz. I would also throw up the screwdriver in the overdrive category but its also very fuzzy at times so................... I guess it would work here as well!

Delayed Delay

Holy cow...

Didn't even bother reading page 2 or 3... All page one is is a bunch of fuzz pedals that are actually based on something else!

Sure, they each bring something different, but none were truly original...

TGP = lulz

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
Holy cow...

Didn't even bother reading page 2 or 3... All page one is is a bunch of fuzz pedals that are actually based on something else!

Sure, they each bring something different, but none were truly original...

TGP = lulz
Without meaning to sound snarky, I would like you to tell me what my page 1 suggestions are based on:

Trombetta Mini Bone
Fairfield Four Eyes
Catalinbread Teaser Stallion
Geiger Counter

corbs

Silver Supporting Member
Fix'd Fuzz Deluxe. Lot's of different original tones in there Watch the video through to hear all the variations of the theme in there.

Fix'd Deluxe is what came to mind first.

Truly original circuitry? No so sure, and I wouldn't debate it.

But... the ability to switch between, or combine two fuzz circuits is super cool. Oh, it's also a great clean boost, or a filter, or a clean boost with a filter and fuzz, or a clean boost with a filter and two fuzz circuits, or a ...................:crazy

Fun box of fun.

thesooze

Fix'd Deluxe is what came to mind first.

Truly original circuitry? No so sure, and I wouldn't debate it.

But... the ability to switch between, or combine two fuzz circuits is super cool. Oh, it's also a great clean boost, or a filter, or a clean boost with a filter and fuzz, or a clean boost with a filter and two fuzz circuits, or a ...................:crazy

Fun box of fun.
:agree This is a crazy fun fuzz for me. Sounds great as a boost too!

Cussion

The Skin Pimp Buzzaround seems like quite a rare circuit and it sounds great.
Wish I had one.

Stunt Monkey Pedals - White Rabbit

there is also a version 2, which includes an extra toggle switch.AFAIK, David (the builder) only ''borrowed'' the tone stack of Muff. Nothing else from nowhere else.
The most versatile dirt-box that I ever owned.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom