original idea for a movie that's never been made...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by lespaulreedsmith, Apr 17, 2016.

1. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Let's say you have an original movie idea that's never been done before (as far as you know of course after searching).
    What do you do? Can money be made? Steps or ideas? Anyone have answers? curious

2. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

nihil sub sole novum.

3. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Can money be made? Absolutely. The problem is shopping your script. You can't just shop an idea unless you are a known commodity. There are agents who will shop it for you. For a fee.

4. worxforme

worxforme Supporting Member

Can money be made? Absolutely.

Post your idea here and I'll PayPal you a dollar.

cratz2, shane8 and lespaulreedsmith like this.
  5. onyxrhino

onyxrhino Member

There's probably not any money in just an idea. If you can write a script or make a great pitch, maybe…but do you have any idea how many unsolicited scripts and pitches studios get every year?

Without knowing what your idea is, I can't really tell you how to proceed, but turning it into a script or at least a treatment seems like the next natural step. Then, the trick is finding someone who can use it. Do you pitch it to an actor or a producer? Who? It all depends on the project. It also helps to know someone.

Mosley and A-Bone like this.
  6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

What are you hoping to do with it? Sell it? Produce and/or direct it yourself? What kind of scale of idea are you talking about? Chamber dramas are usually less expensive than science fiction blockbusters, for instance. You don't need to know budget or anything, but having a sense of where you want to take the idea and what level of resources is involved is invaluable even in the early going.

Is it an original idea? First thing to do is to write a screenplay or at least a treatment of that idea. There are tons of books and resources that will give you a basic idea of formatting for either or both of these. Then you can think of how to boil it down to a pitch -- just to have one practiced and ready to go.

If it is not an original idea, securing an option on the rights is the smart move. This not only ties it up for development purposes while also giving you the start of a portfolio, it also allows you to confirm that no one else owns the property or is already developing it.

I'm not going to lie, if you're talking about a big budget idea, the odds are long for it to get read, let alone purchased or produced. Hell, even if it is a smaller scale idea, it is not easy to get a producer to read unsolicited material. If it is more modest, you might submit it to something like Sundance, the institute, to see if they like it enough to invite you to develop it some there. Alternatively, there are agents that specialize in screenplays in LA that might, maybe, be willing to take a gander at it when it is in finished draft form and give you a sober assessment of its prognosis.

One thing you might consider, weird as it sounds, is writing a novel first and getting it published, then adapting it to a screenplay form. Producers are often more excited about novelists than screenwriters, who are often not held in particularly high esteem.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  7. soulohio

soulohio Member

go to Thailand my son
    the ladies there have many stories
    all of them begin with a lady
    that lost her boyfriend in terrible accident
    and thus forth you go..

Frankee likes this.
  8. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    so would the movie be about a 'ladyboy'? confused...;)

9. soulohio

soulohio Member

bite the apple
    be thou unafraid

lespaulreedsmith likes this.
  10. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

11. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

The odds are that your idea or concept is totally original is very slim. What is original in a screenplay is usually the way story gets told, the POV, and the voice of the writer. Pitch it, and see what happens. That is really the only way to know if your concept has legs. Good movie ideas can be pitched in one sentence.

12. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

A movie is not what it's about, it's about how it's about it.
    or something like that. Ebert

j.s.tonehound and A-Bone like this.
  13. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

There is definitely something to that in a formalist sense. It isn't the story that makes a film great; it's the telling.

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  14. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Grease II. F%#ki@# the Middle Class- Beginning to End.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  15. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

10 years ago, when I was unemployed, I had a WICKED good idea for a screenplay. So I wrote it. And it's good. Needs work, and I'd like to take it back up and see how good I can get it to be. The PROBLEM is that, over the course of 10 years, there has been a movie and one short-lived TV show with a somewhat similar premise. But I promise you, my screenplay has at least 2 scenes that people will be excitedly talking about as they exit the theater. And I might have a connection that can help get it seen.

shane8 likes this.
  16. Rezin

Rezin Member

Want an index of how hard it is to move from script to movie? "The Unforgiven" won four Oscars -- Best Picture, Best Director, Best supporting actor, best film editing. It was eleven years from screenplay to movie.

You can write the greatest screenplay in the world, but unless you can line up studio/producer/director/talent you're screwed.

cratz2, 65DuoSonic and A-Bone like this.
  17. ANALOG GUY

ANALOG GUY Member

Napoleon Dynamite, collage freshman.

Somebody dropped the ball here, could have been a hit. $$$$$

18. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

Adam's apple on a lady boy?

19. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Remember, Star Wars is a story about a farm boy and a wizard who team up with a pirate to rescue a princess from an evil black knight.
    [​IMG]

archey, Nevets, 65DuoSonic and 2 others like this.