Original Jazz clips w/McInturff&Taylor

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by The bear, Jun 17, 2005.

1. The bear

The bear Member

Hello, I just wanted to post some clips from my website. There are some standards, but mostly original tunes. Sorry about the recording quality-it's all Minidisk. I am going into the studio next weekend, and I will hopefully put some better stuff on there.
    My guitar is a McInturff Taurus Standard. I also use a Taylor ns 32 ce, nylonstring. I used mostly my polytone, but also an old Fender deluxe that belongs to Smoke jazzclub, where a couple of the clips where recorded live.
    http://www.josteing.com/Sounds.html

2. scottl

scottl Member

Welcome to the site Mr. Gulbrandsen. Nice playing. You have a great style. I heard lots of Jim Hall and Abercrombie influence. I really dug your creative flow and lack of reliance on stock licks. A problem I have for sure!

I saw your bandmate Nate with ChrisPotter, Craig Tayborn, and Adam Rogers at 55 Bar a while back. Great player.

Scott

3. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Really nice playing. I don't know Jazz at all but I appreciate it good music.

Welcome to the gear page.

4. scottl

scottl Member

5. The bear

The bear Member

Helllo, thanks alot! I am checking out the Sylvian& Birelli version as we speak. Where did you get that recording? Sound like a bootleg. I just saw Birelli at Iridium-he has better control of the guitar than anyone. And I really like Sylvian Luc's playing. He has more of a lyrical side to his playing than Birelli, which I really like. Last time when I was in D.C, I was checking out a couple of PRS hollowbodys at Washington Music. One of the guys that worked there handed over an Eastman jazzguitar. He told me that Sylvian Luc was there a month before, and bought one for his friend in France. I wish I knew...
    Abercrombie and Jim Hall are also two of my favorites, as well as Metheny, McLaughlin and Holdsworth.
    I'll check out you page as well,
    Jostein

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

WOW! GREAT playing. I love the angular lines and great sense of time. Very original and personal style. I have to come over to NY and see you perform this summer. (Im in NJ) Great to have you posting here.

7. The bear

The bear Member

Hey Scott, I don't have highspeed conection, but I just downloaded your version of Giant Steps. It's really great! Great tone, and great phrasing also nice sense of melody. Plus some killin' chops!

Hey Tag, thanks alot. I didn't expect getting feedback like this. Where in Jersey are you located? I actually teach guitar in park ridge NJ a couple of times a week.

8. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks Jostein! That is a really old POD recording. Really sloppy :(

There are newer things on my site that sound better with tighter playing. Just start with 500 Miles High for instance....

I wish I saw that Bireli show!!

Scott

9. fig

fig Member

Hi Jostein -
    I really love your music. Great stuff!

10. The bear

The bear Member

Hey, I'll check it out. By the way the Nate Smith I am playing with is not the same as the one you are talking about. However one of my other bandmates the great bassplayer Eivind Opsvik plays with Craig Taborne, and also just did a gig with Dave Binney and Adam Rogers at the 55. Evind also just recorder with Bill Frisell. I am going in the studio to record some of my tunes, with Eivind and also drummer Jeff Davis next weekend.

11. ivers

ivers Member

:( Man, wished I'd been there, Binney and Rogers are two of my favorite musicians these days, and would've been really cool seeing them with Opsvik.

Speaking of norwegians... your playing is great man, with tasty phrasing and emotion, and the rendition of Estate was lovely!

Funny thing is that after hearing your stuff for the first time, I lurked in the Kurt Rosenwinkel forum, where I saw mention of Lage Lund, another *killer* player from Norway who I hadn't even heard of before...

12. The bear

The bear Member

Hey, where in Norway are you from? Trondheim?

13. scottl

scottl Member

My good friend Patrik Berggren plays there sometimes.... Fantastic player!

14. The bear

The bear Member

Hey Scott, I just listened to your version of 500 miles high. I liked it alot. I hear some Scott Henderson in there, but you really have your own thing going. Nice. The Baker guitars really sound great.
    I also went out and bought Sylvain Luc's latest CD, Ambre. It is a solo record, but he has overdubbed himselfe on some of the tracks. He is also using his Godin fretless guitar, which I really like the sound of. I just brought out my fretless guitar (an old Yamaha electric guitar, that I changed up), to my last gig at Detour. I am just learning how to play that thing. it really sounds cool, but of course it is hard to play in tune, and nearly impossible to play chords.

15. ivers

ivers Member

Nah, Oslo. My handle here is just my 'real' nickname from way back, and not a reference to the footballer from Trondheim. :)

16. The bear

The bear Member

Ok, I thought you had Steffen Iversen in mind. I actually played against him when I was a kid. he was allready pretty good back then, Iand I decided that I was better at guitar than soccer.