Original Line 6 POD any good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slicepaperdavid, Feb 7, 2012.

1. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

I'm picking up a first gen Line 6 POD for $80 tomorrow. Buying it for a tweakable headphone amp mostly. Are these pretty good? Its hard to find info on them online. Can it be connected to my laptop to record? Thanks guys ​

2. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

These were the bomb when they first came out in the late 90s. Definitely a great headphone amp, and it just has unbalanced 1/4 inch outputs to go to your soundcard/box. If you hook the midi up to your computer you can download their "Monkey" downloader that will give you an editing software program for deep editing the presets.

The POD never quite did it live through an amp, but a lot of folks actually plug straight into the PA and do it that way. It gets a lot of bad raps by tone snobs for not being this or that, but the bottom line is, it sounds great to play with and good enough to do recordings with that sound very, very good.

Don't really pay big attention to the amp and cabinet models, as you'll be quite surprised what may sound really great that you never thought you would.

Anyways, 80 bucks is a score, and you'll have a great time with it if you don't place unrealistic expectations on it and just dink around until you find a sound you like and rehearse/record away.

Enjoy!

3. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Awesome! thanks man, so there is no way I can record with my Macbook then? Disappointing...

4. WhoJamFan

just get a stealth plug, or any 1/4 inch to usb cable-Rapco makes one for 39 bucks at Sam Ash

5. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Awesome, thanks for the info, cant wait to get this thing

6. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Honestly $80 sounds a bit steep for the 1st gen POD.

I personally wouldn't have paid that. Should be able to pick up a 2.0 for that...and an XT for a few bucks more.

Should be fun to mess around with, but the sounds and feel is noticeably dated at this point. Good luck with it.

7. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Havent gotten to plug it in yet, been at work all day but I feel like even if 80 bucks was a bit high of a price its still a bargain for the amount of features and enjoyment its going to deliver.

8. WhoJamFan

POD 1.5? I thought just about everybody got the free 2.0 upgrade chip for it when it was released shortly thereafter?If it is not a 2.0, then contact Line 6 and have them send you the upgrade chip.

9. ekamal

ekamal Member

I'm rocking the original POD (version 1.4). I couldn't get the free chip upgrade, I think it was only for US residents.

My two main gripes with it are:

• You can't mix and match cabinets without MIDI or the software editor, if you pull up an amp, you get the default cab
    • You can't access the other 16 amp models without MIDI or the software editor.
    These issues are addressed in POD 2.0.

And I don't think you can plug a pair of headphones in without enabling the cabinet simulation from the main output, which could be useful for personal monitoring when playing live with the POD through an amp's fx return!

There are some more parameters via the software, bright switch and presence controls among other things. I think you can customise some effects like the reverb and delay (and compressor too I think?).

The outputs are balanced if you use a TRS to XLR cable, unbalanced otherwise. I've done this live several times with great success. Otherwise I think if you can just use a 1/4" to a 1/8" cable from the headphones out to your Mac's audio input to record.

I use a USB audio interface with the POD to record with my Mac, but most of the times I just use GarageBand's amp and effect modelling...;)

And I'm obviously no affiliated with any of the brands mentioned :)

10. SSol28

SSol28 Member

you can probably find and xt for that price

11. Dale

Dale Member

I have the POD 2.0 (was 1.0) through the upgrades and then an XT. The POD V1-2 is a more processed sound than the XT to me. It is great for home jamming as it is more CD like (compression is part of it) in voicing to me. This does not work as well in some contexts.

12. MG90

MG90 Member

I used one when they where current with a Peavey Delta Blue with a single 15" speaker. I had the big floorboard as well. I have been told that the sounds I got live were as good as anyone was getting out of original Blackface Fender Deluxe and Vibroverb amps.

I pretty much only used the blackface settings. I think there was also a problem with the settings changing through vibrations that was addressed.

I would still ask L6 for the chip, as well as keep a saved eBay search for one.

The leslie was pretty nice as I recall.

13. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I have the POD 2.0 Pro. It has one high gain tone (A model of a Recto verb) that is real good. The Fender models are good as well. Spend a $100.00 & get an XT. It's night & day

14. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

I have an original, non-upgraded Pod I got when they first came out. best purchase I ever made. I used it on all my recordings. Still have it.

15. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

One thing: the manual is useful for understanding how the controls work for each amp... For example, the ac30 likes to have the treble cranked, etc.

16. mcmurray

mcmurray Member

If I had one I'd pay you $80 to take it.

17. MiguelO

MiguelO Member

IMO it depends on what u use it for. If it's just to have fun and mess around with, or to learn what pedals KIND OF sound like before you make a big $$$ investment then I say go for it! But if it's for recording or live play, don't expect too much. I owned a POD when I first started playing... A long time ago... Now it's long gone. Nothing replaces the real thing.

I also agree that $80 is a little steep...

18. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

I have rippin gear, a Matchless amp, Fender 50's Custom Shop Strat in addition to an SG and archtop, awesome analog pedals, but..... I live in an apartment and for song writing and practicing plugging into my rig is not an option. The POD seems like it will handle these duties as well as assist in recording ideas/demos/riffs.

19. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Short answer: for $80 no, they are not good. For $5....maybe.

20. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia

funny - I thought they were a piece of poo when they first came out :bonk
    You could pay me $80 to take one - they make a good door stop :omg
    oh and MFX threads should go in the digital modelling section of TPG thanks