Original Marshall Blues Breaker (Keeley Modded)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steevo124, Aug 11, 2008.

1. steevo124

steevo124 Member

I just purchased an original Marshall Blues Breaker from the early 90's. I have the BB II which I don't particularly care for. I heard good things about the original and I know John Mayer uses one (I'm going for his type of tone). The one I bought was also sent to Robert Keeley to be modded back in the 90's when he was relatively unknown. The owner claimed it sounded like an original TS 808 without the mid hump and harshness. Anyway, I just wanted some user opinions.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got one I use for jamming after hours at work (into a Rockman 100w amplifier). It's slightly lower gain than the TS9 to my ears, only a slight mid-hump and a slightly brighter overdrive than many. I think they're very cool, but think if you can only own one early marshall pedal, the Guvnor is more flexible...

3. Axe-maniac

Axe-maniac Member

Hmm, BB doesn't sound like a TS to me at all. I hate TS style pedals but i love my Bluesbreaker, very warm and creamy O/D. Only goes to medium gain levels but excels at lower gain stuff. A very slight mid hump.

4. steevo124

steevo124 Member

Thats what I wanted to hear. Warm and creamy = FUN! With the Keeley mods I'm sure it will sound even better. I'll try to post some sound samples when I get it.

5. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

The old black bluesbreaker pedal is a nice OD. I have used one off and on for years. Its a nice alternative to the TS type pedals.

I use mine with the drive around 3:00-5:00, the tone around 11:00, and the volume just above unity. Nice mids and low end.

Its not true bypass so if that sort of thing keeps you up at night you will need a to use a looper pedal or put a buffer before it.

GeneralGuitarGadgets has kits to build your own bluesbreaker pedal.

-Tim

6. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

NEVER MOD THE ORIGINAL 1991 BLUES BREAKER EVER !silly