Original Peavey Classic 20 combo vs Fender Tweed Champ: anyone?

YOGA64

Silver Supporting Member
From what I've read the original Peavey Classic 20 combo was a class A amp, running 2 EL84s and a 10 inch speaker.

Does anyone have any experience with this amp, I was thinking about getting a new Fender Tweed Champ amp, but I might as well give this Peavey a try.
So, that's the portability I'm shooting for, and I don't need a super loud clean, but an inspiring sound (I do find a Tweed Champ inspiring soundwise, so does Julian Lage it seems........:))

Not sure about the sound of the Peavey, but I could pick one up for $300 used in mint conditions.

Please help if you can......;)

teefus

the c20 has virtually no clean headroom at any volume. having said that they are good grab and go combos. i modded one with the blueguitar.org mods and put a weber thames in it. the amp was a fire-breathing monster. fwiw, c20's are not class a.

teefus

I've never played one. They are rare around here.
I would have expected the same front end as a C30.
What was changed?
similar input circuit but everything changes after that. even with the master dimed there is very little headroom. that was fine with me but might not work for everyone. my experience was with the 90's-00's era combo models. can't comment on the newer head based units.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
similar input circuit but everything changes after that. even with the master dimed there is very little headroom. that was fine with me but might not work for everyone.
Thanks, I shall approach the amp with caution, should I see one, for my purposes.
The smallest Soldano (Astroverb?) is similarly hampered by no headroom.

teefus

i wasn't looking for any appreciable clean headroom as i was using it as a grab and go combo for open stages and rehearsals. it worked well in that regard. fwiw, it really didn't like pedals either. gain/boost pedals just mushed it out and delays did not sound. having said that, there is a lot to like. it was an absolute fire-breathing monster and surprised some guys that plugged into it.

teleblaste

The Classic 20 will give you PLENTY of clean headroom....if you have the right tubes in it. That's how I know. And that myth about no headroom from these is what has kept me avoiding these for so long up until now. I just bought mine from a trusted musician/friend a week ago and can't stop playing it. It's loud, clean and very articulate. And...except for the tube change, it's completely stock. I could definitely gig with this amp. It's a keeper.

Last edited:

LJOHNS

I had a C20 for years. It was my first good tube amp. I replaced the speaker and put a lower gain pre amp tube in it and it sounded great. I sold It off while going through a lot of other amps.
I would Try before you buy. There are a lot of great options now days.

jmgruber

The Classic 20 will give you PLENTY of clean headroom....if you have the right tubes in it. That's how I know. And that myth about no headroom from these is what has kept me avoiding these for so long up until now. I just bought mine from a trusted musician/friend a week ago and can't stop playing it. It's loud, clean and very articulate. And...except for the tube change, it's completely stock. I could definitely gig with this amp. It's a keeper.
Hopefully the OP hasn’t waited four years for this response :huh

Trending Topics

Top Bottom