Original script logo Phase 90 with true bypass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jasonvilla, Apr 8, 2015.

1. jasonvilla

jasonvilla Member

Hi all.
    I use and love my '74 script logo phase 90 but I would really like it to have true bypass and a LED light. I don't really want to mod such an old/valuable pedal but it would be nice to have those things. There is a hole already on the side of the case that I think I could stick a 3mm diode through and wiring in a true bypass shoulnt hurt anything... OR, I could get a true bypass box with a led and just use it to switch it in and out. But then the Phase 90 would always be on and I usually have my pedal board plugged in at home. What do you think would be the best route to take and would keeping it on 24/7 hurt it?
    Thank you!

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

just mod the damn thing. are you a player or a collector?

3. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

Maxon Phasetone?

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I normally don't mind modding pedals to suit my needs - they're tools, after all. But if it's a very rare/expensive unit that I've paid dearly for, or for some other reason want to keep in pristine condition, I might look into the true bypass box alternative.

Btw, as soon as the pedalboard is powered up, the pedals are powered up too. The footswitches only control how the audio is routed through them, so you already have your pedals on 24/7. I'd probably switch the power off when I'm not using the board, if only to save a little on the utility bill :)

5. 7thString

7thString Member

You probably won't like this solution but... the MXR script reissue (LED, 9v adapter version) is reaaaaaaally nice, and you could keep the extra cash from selling your vintage one. MXR tend to do well IMO with the vintage reissues (compared to marshall etc). I have owned every version of phase 90 including vintage and the scipt led version was nicest to my ear. ymmv

6. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

They make a custom shop (or something like that) reissue... I bought one and put in an led and 9 volt option in it. Simple to do and it works great. If I had a vintage unit I'd do the same to it... But I get that some guys want to keep stuff for collector value.

7. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

If that script logo Phase 90 has "it" dont touch the thing. Get a new reissue with true bypass and LED for your board. I was in the studio recently and had a stack of Phase 90's in front of me. I though mine sounded great and had three of my own, until i plugged in the Script logo. It just had "that sound". The others were fine until you heard the original. Keep that vintage 90 as clean as you can. Thats a keeper....

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I have an old 1974 Phase-90 on my board and didn't drill any holes for the three popular mods. I use a Z Vex power plate for power, and run the LED through a small hole in the power plate up the side of the pedal. The true bypass switch can be reversed if needed, no holes drilled.

The new MXR that come with LEDs don't sound like the old ones, the custom shop hand-wired are great though, the same circuit as the originals.

9. jasonvilla

jasonvilla Member

Haha thank you everyone for all the different ideas. I decided to just go ahead and mod it. I don't plan on ever selling it and its not a collectors piece. It also has one of the old style 1/8" power jacks on the back of it. I don't think they came stock that way so someone must have added that a long time ago.
    I have the head the new ones and thought they sounded pretty awful. This one is pretty mellow and sweet sounding. Thanks again!

10. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Any mod to make the 'New' edition Scripts get that warmth?