Original Shin-Ei fy2 it get a modern clone?

murraythek

I have a chance to get a vintage Shin Ei for roughly the same price as a Fredric Effects Super Unpleasnt Companion.

From what I understand the original has a significant volume drop which the Fredric corrects.

Would you get an original at a good price or get a modern clone?

woolyh

Personally I'd go with a clone. Your getting true bypass, LED indicator, 9v DC jack and in the Super Unpleasant Companions case it fixies the volume drop not to mention you're also getting an FY-6!

FY-2s aren't particularly rare compared to a lot vintage fuzz pedals so maybe one will show up at a much better price down the line.

If you can't decide you could always buy both and sell the loser :D

murraythek

Personally I'd go with a clone. Your getting true bypass, LED indicator, 9v DC jack and in the Super Unpleasant Companions case it fixies the volume drop not to mention you're also getting an FY-6!

FY-2s aren't particularly rare compared to a lot vintage fuzz pedals so maybe one will show up at a much better price down the line.

If you can't decide you could always buy both and sell the loser :D
Yes that was a concern. The modern appointments really do make a big difference.

It’s very tempting as the FY2 is going for $300 CDN which is roughly the same price of the Fredric or Wattson.

timhulio

I should point-out, as the builder of the Fredric Effects Super Unpleasant Companion, that it contains both an FY-6 Superfuzz AND the FY-2 Companion Fuzz circuit. You can select either using the first toggle switch (the second is for the two different tone settings of the Superfuzz).

The regular Unpleasant Companion is the standalone FY2 clone, only with added volume boost and a mini-pot to adjust the amount of mid-scoop.

murraythek

I should point-out, as the builder of the Fredric Effects Super Unpleasant Companion, that it contains both an FY-6 Superfuzz AND the FY-2 Companion Fuzz circuit. You can select either using the first toggle switch (the second is for the two different tone settings of the Superfuzz).

The regular Unpleasant Companion is the standalone FY2 clone, only with added volume boost and a mini-pot to adjust the amount of mid-scoop.
The man himself!! Thanks for the input Tim.

I have a Frederic Super Unpleasant with an added mids control on the FY-2 side. I recommend it.

AXXA

Supporting Member

Does the Super Unpleasant Companion also have a volume boost added?

timhulio

Hi Tim, I sure hope you can put the Super Unpleasant Fuzz into a smaller enclosure, even if just FY-6. Thanks!
There will be a version of this in the smaller wedge enclosure (with top mounted jacks). That's a little way off though. For an MXR-sized box, look at the Standard Fuzz Machine - it's a very similar effect only with slightly more gain and a more pronounced octave effect.

Does the Super Unpleasant Companion also have a volume boost added?
Yes, on the FY-2 side. When you select the FY-2 circuit, it shares the volume boost stage which can be found at the end of the stock FY-6 circuit.

tedm

Thanks Tim, definitely going to look at Standard Fuzz Machine, and please PM me when you are ready to take preorders for the Super Unpleasant Companion or any FY-6 in smaller enclosure. Thanks!

There will be a version of this in the smaller wedge enclosure (with top mounted jacks). That's a little way off though. For an MXR-sized box, look at the Standard Fuzz Machine - it's a very similar effect only with slightly more gain and a more pronounced octave effect.

Yes, on the FY-2 side. When you select the FY-2 circuit, it shares the volume boost stage which can be found at the end of the stock FY-6 circuit.

Killshakes

I have a Frederic Super Unpleasant with an added mids control on the FY-2 side. I recommend it.
Is the mids control internal? External? I have been looking at the “nouveau” version of this pedal, and a mids control for the FY-2 would be nice.

Is the mids control internal? External? I have been looking at the “nouveau” version of this pedal, and a mids control for the FY-2 would be nice.
External. The builder asked if I wanted it and I said yes. I’m glad I got it. It provides a wide range of adjusting the sound.

Trending Topics