Original TS808

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have read lately that the ORIGINAL ts808 was much different than the re issue. Is that true?

I have heard from many that even in the TS808 golden years, these pedal varied in tone, compression, gain.

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Most likely.... Technology at that time wasn't that consistant... It was better than the 60's but things have really improved over the past few years....

3. GM1

GM1 Member

Guitar Center in Hollywood is selling two original 808s for $1,000 a peice.

Analogman makes a great reissue no reason to buy an original from my perspective.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

ALL TS pedals are basically the same. 808's, 9's, 10's, 5's and 7's. There are a few differences but nothing major.

Apparently there is some magic in the early ones - I know a few people that have 'em but I haven't had a chance to A/B them. BUT, they are still almost identical to the others mentioned.

$1000 for $40 worth of parts is highway robbery. You can easily pick one up for much cheaper (if you consider $400 for a pedal cheap). I suppose the originals are worth it if you are a collector - but they are also not that rare to command a $1000 price tag - Guitar Center is NUTS.

AL

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've been to the Hollywood store once, those two guys are screwing the vintage market .... They're overcharging on everything.... Idiots wrapped in morons....

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

I had one of the early ones, maybe first production year, had it for maybe 15 years before I sold it.

I can tell you that there was no magic in there, it was just an O/D pedal, and not a particlularly good one to my ears.

$1000 for one?
    That's internet hype in action folks.

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

NUFF SAID! Thanks everyone!

8. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I had an original 808. I tweaked my reissue TS-9 to sound just like it. It took me about an hour and included changing two resistors and putting in an original JRC 4558D op amp. Parts were around $10.

At first I thought there was a slight difference in sound because I had to turn the tone knob up a little bit higher on the original than the reissue to get the same treble response. But I switched batteries between the two units and the difference in high end was due to the battery. They both read 9 volts, but one was an alkaline and one was not. The alkaline battery made the tone brighter for some reason.

I sold my 808 for big bucks and never looked back. I love my modded reissue!

9. AL30

AL30 Member

Unburst & kevmin - that's some real good info. Thank you. I've always wondered. I've built a few TS models and heard a pile of reissues but I've never had the chance to sit down with an original - just too darn expensive.

If you are planning on building one, modding one or just curious as to what goes on in there you should read this

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

AL

10. CPA

CPA Member

I've had the reissues and the Keeley modded ones. Nothing compares to the sound of the original ones. It has that vintage vibe of a smooth tone with a smooth top end and a creamy mid. I wish there was a reisuues that can replace then I could sell my original one!