Originals (Beatles fan? Beatle Tribute and another)... Please comment on overall mix

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by t0neg0d, Aug 6, 2005.

1. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

This is a few things me and Deaj have been working on. The vocals for this song are sort of in a state of disarray (not finished).

This, like everything else, won't be everyones bag baby... but we have been having fun with it.

Would really like peoples opinion of the overall mix (for the style of music it is)

Here is the Beatles type thingy:

Beatles Tribute

Here is one other:

In My Eyes

Feel free it pick them apart... I really would like some input on vocal recording techniques... ideas for getting an appropriate bass sound for each song and such and such...

Thanks in advance!

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

Fantastic work! Best I've ever heard!!!

:D

Okay, I have a heavy bias here because I'm working on this project with t0neg0d (my brother) and because he's one of my favorite songwriters. :)

Thanks for the feedback cpokay!

We'll be laying down bass tracks soon but that has been a trouble spot in the past - seems to be a difficult instrument to track. Some testing last week left us considering direct recording an Ernie Ball Bongo bass with flatwounds through a Barber Tone Press - the test tracks sounded pretty nice. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Any and all feedback, suggestions, constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks!

3. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Thanks for the feedback Chris!

Um... the lyrics are probably garbled because I was making them up as I was singing them... they are all scratch tracks... thus the lack of making any sense. Chances are when I got the that spot... nothing came to minds so I sang nonsense.

P.S. I like the Lama idea.... Lamalamalamalamalamalama

4. McLenison

McLenison Guest

Enjoyed it! Also sounds like you had fun making it!

5. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

LOVING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys kill maaaaaan! Dying to hear the melody over the second tune.
    If you guys make a saleable product count me in as one of your first customers. Seriously.

thanks
    RB

6. Marcello

Marcello Member

awesome, loved it guys ! great stuff.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Amazing work! Great all around... No complaints.

Truly unbelieveable! I especially envy the vocals (considering I have no vocal ability)

Scott

8. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

+1

+100 on the vocal thing.

9. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Really appreciate all the feedback! And thanks for the feedback on the vocals. Those were the first tracks we have recorded with the NTK and results thus far seem to be very promising. Hoping with a bit more time and effort we can find a better-than-great solution for recording vocals (since we have no iso booth... and the room we are recording in is fairly noisey).

Anything about the guitar tracks (recorded sounds) that don't gell well with the rest of the mix? Once again this was recorded with a mic (AKG C1000-S) that not too many people are fond of... but we have been happy with the results thus far.

10. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Bump for comparisons sake :D

11. Vodman

Vodman Member

I've been a Beatles fan forever and you've captured the magic that they created. Bravo! Bravo!

12. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Excellent! How did you get all of those beatlesque tones and instrument sounds?

13. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Vodman - thanks for the kind words. That means the world to me!

iluvstrats - Some of them are samples mixed with live instruments (i.e. the strings are done with Gigastudio using Garritan's Orchestral Strings layered with real strings). Others are recorded (i.e. I have a neighbor who has a slew of odd ethnic instruments - many stringed and is an AMAZING player). Its been a real struggle all the way around.

14. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

It's a whole lot of fun and you really did nail the Beatle sounds but I have one significant complaint. It's WAY too long. For the most part, the Beatles were the absolute masters of the sub-3 minute song. It didn't feel right to have a tribute to them run 4:35.