• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

origins of glam rock

Killed_by_Death

Britons are big on taking stuff from the U.S. & putting their spin on it, like the Rolling Stones did with the Blues.
Keith Richards was quite happy to get to that part of the U.S. where they'd gotten their influences from.

shakeshakeshake

The thing that gets me with UK punk, is that it was basically an antithesis to the original motives of punk. If punk came about because those original guys were tired of how pretentious, hyper aware, stylized, contrived, whiney and commercial popular rock music had become, and wanted to return to what made music great before that (dumb fun music)... not trying to cram any personal agendas down its listeners throats, that early punk stuff was largely apolitical. Bands like the Sex Pistols were like an instant exploitation of this, kind of like a boy band of the day. The band was basically engineered by well to do, well connected people in British society for commercial success, and then UK punk kind of instantly became far more pretentious than any of the 70s pop rock before, becoming almost entirely about posturing, politics, cramming agendas down peoples throats.

Papanate

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

The Rolling Stones 1968 Rock and Roll Circus

The New York Dolls in 1971

Custom Deluxe

I'm not sure if "Proud Mary" is rock, but I guess it's proto-rock.

You mean why do U.S. citizens think so rationally?

You already posted that & I'm still laughing.
It's a bit of a catch-22 then isn't it?
Since there would have been no Pistols w/o the band to copy, The Ramones.
Didn't Ike Turner have a hand in writing Rocket 88? I know he played guitar on it. This tune, is considered by many, to be is the first Rock N' Roll tune.

Davepitt11

I'm not sure if "Proud Mary" is rock, but I guess it's proto-rock.

You mean why do U.S. citizens think so rationally?

You already posted that & I'm still laughing.
It's a bit of a catch-22 then isn't it?
Since there would have been no Pistols w/o the band to copy, The Ramones.
Ike Turner played on a lot of stuff at Sun and Chess and other places. The song Rocket 88 is often considered the first rock and roll song and features Ike on distorted guitar. He was something of a musical director for a lot of jump blues/rock and roll acts.

Cody

Well, look who’s undead!
When did Sweet form? They were certainly glam all the way.
Bolan came before them, and early Sweet (‘71) was more bubblegum.
By ‘72, they started the crossover to rock, starting just about here - this has one foot in their earlier pop, and one foot in the sound we associate with them:

sws1

I loved this -- with one small exception -- back up singers sang slightly flat and it made it appear as if they were at the top of their range. But holy smokes - what a great performance though right? In the room I would have been transfixed on everyone!
All that imperfection makes it real, and in the context of that performance, completely forgivable. Awesome stuff.

StuRdesign

Not only did Little Richard have a hand in it, he & Chuck Berry created Rock & Roll.
.....along with Bo Diddley.

Dave Hill of Slade, saw Marc Bolan on UK TV with a small glitter tear under his eye, around 1970. By his own admission Dave stole the idea and took it to extremes.

This outfit was intended to be a glam Egyptian pharoah, but the rest of the band called it the "Metal Nun".

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
The Hello People from the '60s has a sort of an early glam thing going:

shakeshakeshake

Before T.Rex there was Tyrannosaurus Rex which was more noodly/psych flower rock, Bolan steered the band to more rock/electric guitar use and this is one of the first tracks which is in that style, which was 1969.

There was a psychedelic/folk subculture scene centered in the area of LadBroke Grove in London, I guess Bolan took some of the outlandish stuff with that and melded it with more traditional rock elements to kind of create the glam sound, his biggest influence was Eddie Cochran.

Last edited:

shakeshakeshake

Ike Turner played on a lot of stuff at Sun and Chess and other places. The song Rocket 88 is often considered the first rock and roll song and features Ike on distorted guitar. He was something of a musical director for a lot of jump blues/rock and roll acts.
Rocket 88 getting billed as the first rock song is just plain wrong to me, there were earlier songs that sound much more rock to me than Rocket 88, which sounds more boogie woogie than rock. You can see where Chuck Berry got his thing from Goree Carter.

Davepitt11

The thing that gets me with UK punk, is that it was basically an antithesis to the original motives of punk. If punk came about because those original guys were tired of how pretentious, hyper aware, stylized, contrived, whiney and commercial popular rock music had become, and wanted to return to what made music great before that (dumb fun music)... not trying to cram any personal agendas down its listeners throats, that early punk stuff was largely apolitical. Bands like the Sex Pistols were like an instant exploitation of this, kind of like a boy band of the day. The band was basically engineered by well to do, well connected people in British society for commercial success, and then UK punk kind of instantly became far more pretentious than any of the 70s pop rock before, becoming almost entirely about posturing, politics, cramming agendas down peoples throats.
Well I think the problem with talking about "original motives" is assuming everyone's motives were the same or that the motives in punk stayed constant.

For example: Many suggest that the punk ethos was screw being popular, screw "careerism" and screw success. While at the same time suggesting that they were taking rock back to it's roots.

But the thing is... the original rock and roll guys had absolutely no such feelings. Read Chuck Berry's autobiography- he wanted success and records and to crossover to white consumers. Same with Little Richard and very obviously Elvis. The original rock & roll myth of Johnny B. Goode is exactly the opposite of what later punks would espouse.

That's why from my experience back in the day, the working class kids were into hard rock/metal and it was the more affluent kids who were into punk. Only someone growing up in relative comfort could suggest that money and success doesn't matter. It's the people who grew up with little and had to fight for it who dreamed of making it big, chart succes, and material success. This is later seen explicitly in hip hop and rap.

Many of the original CBGB punks were art school kids. Nothing wrong with that, but a lot of the English punks were working class kids. I wouldn't expect different classes in different countries to have the same philosophy other than playing loud, fast, fifth chords.

Killed_by_Death

Guys like Henry Rollins lived rough on the road to success.
He's talked & written about sleeping on fans' sofas when touring.

Sid Vicious lived similarly & slept on Lemmy's couch for a while.

I wish I'd diverted this branch of the conversation to this thread earlier.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom