Orion Custom Wahs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Jul 13, 2006.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Seems there is a new custom wah maker in town and his products are getting some good reviews. Apparently he has several different models including a replica of Jimmy Page's wah and he uses a lot of NOS parts. The website is www.orioncustom.com. Anybody try these or have any info?

2. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Clips sound nice. I'd like to hear clips of the Page Wah! Wonder what makes it so different.

3. OrionCustom

OrionCustom Member

It's a much higher sweep and can be used as a great treble boost according to the guy I first designed one for. It has a very small quack and a unique circuit. Not very attractive to most of the wah guys, as you cannot do the "wacka wacka" thing with it effectively. It was modeled after, and is a complete replica of, Jimmy Page's wah pedal as used during many of his live performances.
    I'm glad to see that some interest is stirring! You're all free to send questions via e-mail to: support at orioncustom<dot>com!

4. todd richman

Hi Orion. Can you post some of the GP Wah(J. Page inspired model) for all to hear? Thanks...

5. OrionCustom

OrionCustom Member

Currently I am starting to pack up to move, besides my shop. I don't have an adequate method of recording. The client I designed it for originally sent me clips from the album How the West was Won, by Led Zeppelin. The sound clip I primarily used was Dazed and Confused. You can hear the high pitched minimally quacky wah he used in it. It still has it's uses though.
    Thanks for the kind comments! I'm more than happy to answer questions!

6. OrionCustom

OrionCustom Member

I thought I'd let everybody know that I have a specialty C-Wah that switches a vintage Fasel inductor and Galactic inductor on e-bay. When this one sells I will have one that switches the Galactic inductor and a vintage "Stack 'o Dimes", and finally an old Maestro El Rad. Stay tuned! If you're interested in any watch the auctions by typing in "Orion Wah" during an e-bay search to see if the one you're interested in is for sale yet!

7. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Why can't boutique wah makers add the one feature we really need: instant-on/off by merely putting your foot on the treadle. Like the Morley, only not sounding like Steve Vai. Is there a reason why a C-Wah or Picture Wah or Clyde Deluxe can't have this?

8. OrionCustom

OrionCustom Member

That's a good point! I'll look into that. I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to do. Might cause a price increase however and make them less affordable. We'll see!
    Thanks for the suggestion!

9. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Well, ****, that was easy.

10. boogie_01

boogie_01 Member

I also agree with this. Even at a price increase, i'd like to see this on the Orion line. Nothing is worse than needing wah on the fly in a tight spot in a tune and missing the click from the traditional on/off button

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

12. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

I was talking to one of his dealers the other day and found out that the builder is going to take some time off.

13. OrionCustom

OrionCustom Member

After taking a few years to research and play the guitar, Orion Custom is back with new products and 3 patents.

The Sag Implicator, Galactic Inductor (last generation), and CX-1 inductor will be available shortly through Pedal Geek.

Thanks for the inquiries!

14. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Nice. Welcome back!

15. OrionCustom

OrionCustom Member

Our website has finally returned: orioncustom.com

16. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I'm going to be doing some clips for Orion very soon..

17. todd richman

Which wah did you like best?

18. cesjr

cesjr Member

Orion is the best, extremely knowledgeable about guitars, effects and electronics. I remember talking to him on the phone for about an hour before I decided to try one of his wahs. I'm looking forward to everything he's working on.

19. happyorange27

happyorange27 Member

Very cool Orion! I just became a big fan of your work. Very interested in modifying my Jimi wahs with one of your inductors.