Orlando, FL Guitar Show - Jan. 28, 2008

mmcquain

Who is going this year? I'll be there Saturday (probably wearing my LPF t-shirt so I should be easy to spot). I'll bring my camera and will get lots of pics. Here's a link to last year's show pics I took (sorry but I'm not the best photographer)...

http://www.mcquain.com/lespaul/Orlando_1-27-07/

Here's the details on the 2008 show...

Orlando International Guitar & Music Expo
January 25th, 26th & 27th, 2008

Dealer Info * Public Info * Map and Directions

20th Anniversary Celebration - One of the nation's largest guitar shows, The Orlando Guitar and Music Expo has been an exciting annual event for 20 years. Held in Orlando Florida every year at the end of January, the Expo is attended by an international group of guitar dealers, buyers, traders, collectors, and players. Area attractions and fine Florida weather combine to make this show a popular destination for guitar enthusiasts and their families.

Location for 2008: Osceola Heritage Park exhibition building

Get all the details at: http://guitarexpo.net/gxpo/Orlando.htm

mmcquain

Moderators - Please change this threads title to read "Jan 26" and NOT "Jan 28"
Thanks!!!

Ricko

I've gone the last two years and had a great time. I work the weekend night shift now though, so I'll be there early Friday before my nap!

mmcquain

It's curious why they call it the "Orlando" show when its really in the heart of Kissimmee and not near Orlando at all? The "Kissimmee Guitar Show" would be more appropriate. :p
Probably because Orlando is the larger, more well-known town. Just like isn't the Dallas Guitar Show actually in a suburb of Dallas.

bbarnard

I'l likely go one of the days. Don't know for sure which yet but likely Saturday.

I've been pretty disappointed at the show the last couple of years. Lots of old guitars at very very high prices but a lot of the stuff wasn't in really great shape.

bullfrogblues

Silver Supporting Member
I'll probably be there on Sunday, as Friday and Saturday are planned out by my wife for other things:(

Allan.

mmcquain

For those of you who have never been to one of these shows, here's some pics of last years show. It is a great place to play around on some cool gear. The posts about pricing is correct IMO but I'm sure there must be some deals to be had if you look hard enough.

http://www.mcquain.com/lespaul/Orlando_1-27-07/

I've got a virus and am sick in bed...sucks (as I'm still trying to recover from cellulitis) and so I won't be able to attend
But I'm hoping somebody that goes can take lots of pictures and can post a full report.

bbarnard

I likely can't go this year either. Something came up with the wife plus it is one of my son's birthdays this weekend.

SLG

Sporting a Gold Member
Gold Supporting Member
Just got back from the show this afternoon. For those of you that missed it, consider yourselves lucky. You saved $15 and a couple of hours of wasted time. I'll post a review later.

SLG

Sporting a Gold Member
Gold Supporting Member
I went....I saw....I left disappointed.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good:

Tungsten Amplification had a nice display of hand wired amps
ProBag had great looking gig bag assortment
A nice spread of high end acoustic flattops sprinkled throughout the show
A few new custom guitar builders represented
New TNT amp heads.
Beard Gold Tone Resonator represented. Nice guitars!
Very little loud wanking.
Very little mutton dressed as lamb....depends upon your preferences I suppose.

The Bad:

Very few local shops and builders represented
Virtually no arch-top guitars
Guitar prices.....take EBay Buy-it-Now prices and add 25-50%
Way too much modern used stuff priced at new retail prices
Way too much modern new stuff priced ABOVE retail list prices
Many big dealers from previous years did not attend
Not much in boutique amplification...not a lot of amplification.
Too many new Fender Custom Shop guitars priced at $5000+...do people really buy this stuff?
Not as many niche guitar brands represented...Eastmans, Duesenburg, National, etc..
I saw very few transactions of any kind.....not even the walk-ins were getting much action

The Ugly:

The surprise $5 fee to park in the wet grass/dirt parking lot
Dealers with lots of un-original 70's Fender stuff priced like it was the next big thing in collectables.....$2000 for a 70's Fender Strat with refinished body, replaced pickups and no case...yeah...right,

mmcquain

Thanks for the report guys. From the sound of it, it's probably better that I stayed home and recovered from the flu.

Trending Topics