Orville by Gibson question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mude, Jun 4, 2008.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

What is the closest American counter part to an 1989/90 Oville by Gibson Les Paul? I am talking about the ones that have American hardware and PUPs (G in the serial number), long neck tenon, maple top, etc.?

Just curious as some of them seem to be really well built examples of an LP and wondered what they most resemble from a design perspective with what has been sold by Gibson in the US over the years. Thanks for any thoughts.

Evan.

2. utterhack

utterhack Member

Why 89-90? Fine guitars, but iirc the fujigens are generally slightly more desirable than the teradas.

afaik, ALL Orville by Gibsons have USA hardware, USA PAFs, and maple top. Virtually all will have the long neck tenon, though some of the teradas may have a medium tenon. Flametops will usually be laminate over maple.

You'll probably get more and better answers to this question at the tokai or japanaxe forums, but imho the most desirable ObGs are the 1993-1995 fujigen run with fret-end binding.

and fwiw, the closest American counterpart would probably be an R8 plaintop with an R0 neck.

3. mude

mude Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I picked the years just because I had seem some that happened to be those years. It seems like some really would be a bargain if they compared well with a historic model. Thanks again.

Evan.

4. TonyBony

TonyBony Supporting Member

I have a Les Paul that is supposed to be a 59 reissue from 1995 and it is from the Fujigen factory. I have compared it to a 59 Gibson Historic, and I honestly liked the Orville better. Awesome guitars for the money. I got mine for about $200.00 here in Japan.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  5. hank

hank Member

Both Orville and Orville by Gibson are very good guitars overall. However, the Orville by Gibson's are "higher specification" (as the Japanese say) and are more to USA specs with nitro finishes and USA electronics/parts.

I wouldn't hesitate owning either .... just be aware that they are NOT equivalent to the 1959 Gibson Les Paul.

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

When you say they are NOT the equivalent to a "1959 Gibson Les Paul", do you mean compared to a real original one or the Historic versions? What do you se as the key differences? Thanks.

Evan.

7. AlexF

AlexF Member

the guitar you're talking about is modelled after the USA Standard of the same period, some have the same pups, some have Classic 57's. OK the ObG has a long neck tenon, if you can notice any difference. Otherwise, very similar, maybe the ObG necks are a little slimmer, not much. Great guitars, awesome for the money, though so many people have caught on now, they arent the bargain they used to be. Some of the Grecos are even better, Burny's are great, Some Tokais are better, but as with the Greco's, you have to know which. Some of the current Edwards are right up there too.
    Al

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Thanks again for your thoughts folks. I have probably played about 5 of them over the years and at least two of them were really fantastic guitars IMO. Played and sounded great. Exactly like what i consider a great Les Paul.

You mention that you consider some Greco's, etc. to be even better? Any good places to learn about them and what do you think are good things to look for? Thanks.

Evan.

9. AlexF

AlexF Member

good info on Greco and the other top makes here. High model Super Reals and Mint collection guitars really are as good as its ever got in terms of players 'Pauls. Even the pickups and electrics are killer. Greco DryZ pups are fetching crazy money now, and I mean hundreds of dollars. Wonderful guitars.
    http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%201%20history.html

Al

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  10. villager

villager Member

a 1993-early 95 orville by Gibson re-issue with fret edge binding, and long tenon is essentially a gibson historic with a 2 piece centre seamed back..

11. mude

mude Supporting Member

Thanks again for the info.

Evan.

12. btmish

btmish Member

www.tokaiforum.com

13. SteveSchu

SteveSchu Member

Laminated flame on the maple caps of flame tops is a HUGE difference! Do you want the real thing or something that just looks like it? Does anyone remember the Fender Foto-Flames?

14. AlexF

AlexF Member

A HUGE difference in what way? I'll bet everything I own you cant tell the difference sound wise. Probably not looks wise either. The 'real thing' is in your head, and that's fair enough, I do understand that. But it's no more a HUGE thing than long neck tenons. Frankly its all bollocks. Find a guitar that really works well and who made it, and all the constructional details are totally unimportant.

Laminate tops and photo flames are totally unrelated.
    Al

15. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

I have several early to mid 80's Fujigen made Greco's. They match or surpass many of the production Gibson "Pauls" I've owned over the years, and are very much on par with many Historics I've checked out. I've owned a couple of OBG's as well. I actually prefer the Greco's myself. It's worth noting that these are the replicas that got noticed by Gibson in the first place, before Orville was even an idea.

[​IMG]