Osmose: New synth by Expressive E and Haken Audio

Yeah, I believe I'm part of the group originally scheduled to receive one this summer. No huge loss for me to wait until mid-Fall. I paid a deposit for my preorder, so that means I gotta pay up the rest when it's shipping time.

Demo video that was put up in June that I forgot to share:

Excerpt from latest email from Expressive E:

… the team has been focused on the fine-tuning of the UI and keyboard finish. We’ve also enhanced some key sensitivity features to adapt the playing experience to meet your specific needs., and we’ve finished the development of new external features that allow Osmose to better interact with your plugins and hardware.

I guess on the plugin side they mean a new VST/AU plugin or perhaps an update to an existing one to enhance integration of Osmose with your DAW or whatever.

On the hardware side, they probably mean implementing support for the Continuum Voltage Converter.

Someone with sharper eyes than mine pointed out that Haken already updated the CVC product page to mention Osmose.

CVC FEATURES
Ultra-fast Communications

The CVC is built around i2c chips which communicate directly with the Continuum, ContinuuMini, or Osmose at 400kHz data rate.

Simplified Cabling

This third generation CVC provides both DIN5 and 3.5mm i2c connection options, allowing direct connection to all generations of Continuums, ContinuuMini, and Osmose without custom cables.

SPECIFICATIONS
Communication Rate: 440 kbaud

Interface: i2c link to Continuum, ContinuuMini, or Osmose (DIN5 and 3.5 mm)

Control Voltage Output: Sixteen 16-bit D/As, each -9.9 V to +10 V

Power: 10 W, 110 or 220 Vac

Size: 38.1 x 15.3 x 4.4 cm (15 x 6 x 1.73 inches)

Weight: 90 g (3 oz)

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
I hope the plug-in stuff means they’re offering additional software along with the EaganMatrix. Something like that would appeal to users who don’t want to deep dive or just are looking for a quick start.

I hope the plug-in stuff means they’re offering additional software along with the EaganMatrix. Something like that would appeal to users who don’t want to deep dive or just are looking for a quick start.
I don't recall where I saw this information specifically, but my understanding is the factory presets will include the type of bread-and-butter keyboard presets that the average customer will be looking for - namely, orchestral strings, brass, organ, etc.

What follows below is from a May 2020 email. Looks like you will have some knobs and a display for quick tweaks to a preset without firing up a software editor - my wild guess anyway.

I'm imagining some keyboardist onstage frantically waving his hands and going "Guys, guys! Hold up, I forgot to turn down the reverb wet/dry mix - give me a few min to boot up my laptop and connect the USB cable".

Last edited:
Latest announcements include Pressure Weighted Portamento:

"This patented technology takes advantage of the sophisticated sensor technology within each key of Osmose's Augmented Keyboard Action: A player can define a pitch interval within which two keypresses are interpreted as a legato line instead of polyphonic playing. Unlike regular portamento that makes the pitch glide to the last note's pitch within a fixed amount of portamento time, the Pressure-weighted Portamento reacts to the pressure ratio between the two notes. The pitch will dynamically glide between the notes in real-time, always reacting to how the player distributes pressure between the two notes."

They're still saying they're expecting to ship this year.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
The arp is cool. I can't get too excited until I see a shipping notice.

:waiting