OSX Yosemite & Logic Pro?

Staticbuster

Anybody using Logic made the jump to Yosemite yet? I have a few projects going right now, so I am cautious to make the switch. Just looking for anyone else's experience with the upgrade.

fisticuffs

no issues for me. A couple non-apple apps had to have updates, but they were all available at launch. Yosemite seems pretty nice, and machine is running fast.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Wow.

If your computer is a toy, upgrade to the new OS as soon as you can.

If your computer is a tool (for real work, perhaps paying work), wait until you hear about problems being solved and bugs being fixed.

No offense, but have we all learned nothing in the past 2 or 3 decades of computing?

fisticuffs

Wow.

If your computer is a tool (for real work, perhaps paying work), wait until you hear about problems being solved and bugs being fixed.

No offense, but have we all learned nothing in the past 2 or 3 decades of computing?
I haven't had an issue with any Mac upgrades for a looong time. My computer is not a toy.
Windows I would not update. Those have been a trainwreck.

ksandvik

No problems, should be a no-brainer to upgrade unless you have old drivers that might not work with Yosemite (such as just now some of the Apogee high end gear.) So check that first.

PS: Developers and even end users have had access to beta seeds for a long time so it's really up to developers to fix issues in good time before this version was released.

jonathansuhr

I never upgrade my Mac OS until I know its compatible with all my tools for graphic design and audio engineering via other Mac users. That said, I have heard some users having trouble with Logic on Yosemite. Will wait a few weeks at least to see if there are more reports of people running Logic smoothly.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Been using Macs for a little over 25 years, PCs for about 20. Probably updated computer OSes over 200 times on different machines of different types.

I wouldn't update OSes on either right after the OS comes out. Been burned multiple times by both. And in my experience, Mac OS stability has been decreasing for a little while.

I would always wait. Those cool new features can wait. If your software runs with the current OS, there's no need for an instant update.

YMMV... of course...

Fingers

Yosemite has been nothing but good since I installed it; sped up my airbook in fact. I have not yet turned on Logic though. I'd imagine it's okay, since Apple owns it (but don't take my word for it).

Evo5150

Wow.

I've been running Yosemite Beta since 5 on my primary work computer, supporting over a hundred servers, and several hundred users, usually with 3-4 virtual machines going at any given time, and generally about 5 virtual desktops at once. In addition, I spend a considerable amount of time in FCPX as well, editing HD marketing videos.

Works for me.

Granted, that's not audio work, but it's heavier than what audio would generally do.

Besides, everyone has a backup, right? If Yosemite (or any update, really) went sideways, it would take less than an hour to be back up and running like nothing ever happened. Not a big deal.

ksandvik

If possible have two boot drives, one with the old system and one with the new. If something bad happens, switch back.

jonathansuhr

Granted, that's not audio work, but it's heavier than what audio would generally do.
It's not so much the processing power behind the audio. Apple has been notoriously slow on getting their own software up to speed with their OS updates. I remember when the Logic Pro X update was first publicly released, it rarely worked on any OS and took about six months or so for Apple to come out with a bug fix list that literally took a few hours to read.

You would think that Apple thinks about their integrating own software like Logic, Final Cut, Pages, etc. before releasing an OS. But sadly, this isn't the case anymore.

omahaaudio

I have a few projects going right now, so I am cautious to make the switch.
Unless you NEED something in Yosemite stick with what you've got. Why upgrade just to have the latest OS when everything is working well?

I upgraded my five Macs (1 x iMac, 1 x MBP, 2 x MBA, 1 x Mac Mini) to Mavericks about two months ago.

Staticbuster

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I doubt I'll update until at least after the biggest project is done. The others are personal recording projects, so if I get slowed down during those it won't be as bad.

Good to hear most folks haven't had a problem. My transition to Mavericks was smooth sailing, so hopefully Yosemite will be the same.

Semitone

Upgrading is always a crapshoot.

If I'm happy with how things are working on your machine and there is not a compelling reason to upgrade other than "curiosity" or "it's available", then I let others work out the bugs and issues. Been tormented multiple times over the last thirty years by upgrades that are either immaterial improvements or just uses more resources on my machine in ways I could care less about.

Evo5150

It's not so much the processing power behind the audio. Apple has been notoriously slow on getting their own software up to speed with their OS updates. I remember when the Logic Pro X update was first publicly released, it rarely worked on any OS and took about six months or so for Apple to come out with a bug fix list that literally took a few hours to read.

You would think that Apple thinks about their integrating own software like Logic, Final Cut, Pages, etc. before releasing an OS. But sadly, this isn't the case anymore.

Agreed, however Logic does work fine for me at home, so compatibility seems fine. I can't speak for everyone's third party plugins, obviously.

Stone Driver

Gold Supporting Member
I upgraded to Yosemite, and immediately had very slow performance on my iMac while using my Apogee Ensemble with Logic Pro (I had already upgraded the Apogee software).

Fortunately it was instantly fixed when I unistalled, then reinstalled, the Apogee software after Yosemite was installed. Works great now, no complaints.

CyberFerret

I've had Yosemite and Logic X running on my Mac Book Pro for a few months now - done a few recordings. No issues at all.

And it's an "ancient" 2009 Mac Book Pro too... ;)

Stu Blue

I would wait awhile if I had serious/paid work on that computer. My ancient 2007 IMac seems to run faster with Yosemite for domestic stuff, internet, mail etc. However the new Garage Band for Yosemite often gives me "slow disc" messages on stuff that ran ok with the old Garageband and Maverick.

I don't do "computer recording" much so maybe I've done something silly with the new Garage Band. I haven't even fired up Logic yet.......

Evo5150

I would wait awhile if I had serious/paid work on that computer. My ancient 2007 IMac seems to run faster with Yosemite for domestic stuff, internet, mail etc. However the new Garage Band for Yosemite often gives me "slow disc" messages on stuff that ran ok with the old Garageband and Maverick.

I don't do "computer recording" much so maybe I've done something silly with the new Garage Band. I haven't even fired up Logic yet.......

No offense, but I wouldn't expect GB to run well on a 2007 Mac anyway. The old version wasn't that great on my 2010 MBP. However, the new version on Yosemite runs great on my 2013 MBA.

Trending Topics