OT: 1st Amp or 1st Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by -DC/AC-, Aug 25, 2008.

1. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

I have to do this project in my engineering class where we research a product and have to research its history and how it has improved over time, yada, yada yada

Anywho... I want to do guitar amplifiers or effects pedals but I can't seem to find anything on the first one made. I just need to know what the first commercially available guitar amp or effects pedal was and I can go from there. So does anyone know? Any guesses?

I just have to be able to find out when it was made, who made it, what were some parts used, etc.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. benjammin

benjammin Member

Jeez, I guess the first amps must've been for lap steel, other than that I have no idea. When were electrolytic capacitors invented? It's probably around that time period. Maybe Dickerson?

As for effects, got me. Rangemaster maybe? I'm sure people will argue the first one wasn't a true effects pedal.

3. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

4. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

Yeah Wikipedia said the first amps were for Hawaiian lap steels, but I'd like to know what one of these were...

5. pear gage

pear gage Member

I recently read that the vox ac30 was the first amp designed specifically for guitar. The amps made by fender and others before then were just rehoused hifi and radio amps.

6. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

Thanks I didn't know that, this was the kind of information I was looking for but couldn't find.

Also I was wondering who is credited for the 1st electric guitar? Les Paul? Fender? Rickenbacker? I'm thinking Rickenbacker, but I just want a second opinion.