OT: Looking for ideas on a minimalist guitar\gear room

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisjnyc, Dec 8, 2016.

1. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Looking for a hide away type desk and some storage for my gear. So it can be hidden away when I am not around, and minimize having to plug it all together when I want to practice.

Long story short... After my daughter came along, I lost my man cave\gear room\guitar space\etc... Now I am thinking to setup shop in the living room, but need a way to minimize my gear presence. I have cut down my amps, and big pedal board to a small modeling rig, and it is fairly compact. Except for the guitars (stashed in the closet), it is basically, a laptop, interface, and a Rokit speaker. The only other pieces I would need to use on occasion is a midi keyboard and Fractal AX8.

Anyone build a hacked Ikea desk\gear storage center?

2. chrisjnyc

3. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I have to imagine someone makes an armoire with a fold-down desk. A larger footprint than your link example, but certainly more attractive and it could hold many other items.

4. dreadheadhaha

dreadheadhaha Member

Sometimes I have a guitar and Zoom G3 modeler stashed under the couch. When I want to play it's either with headphones/earbuds or with a cable to the stereo.

5. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Maybe more space than you are thinking, but a friend convinced his wife to let him gut an old stereo center and put his stuff in it.

The laptop went where the record player went, the amp where the stereo was, and the speakers where the speakers. He had a little mini line mixer and an amp sim pedal as the speakers were frfr, if I recall. He mainly was using to watch tutorial videos and play along with stuff.

The rest was just storage for whatever, dvds/bluerays i think they were doing.

Looked a lot like this
    [​IMG]

monty likes this.
  6. monty

monty Member

That is a wicked idea....

7. chrisjnyc

I like this option, but it would it would still need a desk aspect, as I would need to be able to sit in front of the laptop to record tracks.

I am thinking to hack an ikea desk, and make a hide away keyboard shelf. Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    ...and just add a drop down panel to hide the tray
    [​IMG]

8. JVJ

JVJ Member

I use a table similar to this one. It has a shelf underneath as well where I put pedals (obviously) and other stuff. I can almost squeeze an 11R and a laptop on the top. That's pretty much all I need for home use. I have mounted the screen to the wall.