OT New Email provider needed!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cusack Effects, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I've been fighting with Yahoo Mail for several weeks, and it is getting worse. It takes me up to 5 minutes to send s single E-mail. Right now I am about a week behind in responding to E-Mails, because Yahoo is so SLOW! Does anybody know of any replacements? I need to POP e-mail from several other servers, etc. Gmail talks about responding to e-mails from other addresses, but I can't find anywhere I can actually POP e-mail from other accounts. All I can find is how to POP FROM gmail.

Any suggestions?

2. stevieray

stevieray Member

Don't pop, forward your mail to gmail. You can set up gmail to look like its coming from another account.

3. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I thought of that, but the last time I did that, some of the forwarded mail woudl get lost. I can't afford to have an e-mail get lost. I guess I can try it. Ideally, I would like the ability to see all my mail online from another computer AND offline, while not connected. That would seem to make it faster, but how complicated is it to keep the two that same? I have read that the Hotmail/Outlook service does this for 50.00 a year. I'd easily pay that if it worked. I'm easily spending an extra 1-2 hours a day waiting for e-mails to open. This is rediculous...

4. theelectic

theelectic Guest

OK I see what you mean. First things first, check with your web-site service provider (the one that hosts cusackmusic.com) and see if they don't already provide a webmail service from which you can get POP mail from other servers. I use a few different providers and they all include webmail capability as a matter of course, all with external POP. Usually it's something like email.domain.com or webmail.domain.com.

Failing that, you can use mailreader.com to check your email, though that's limited to one account at a time.

What I do is use set my mail program (OSX Mail) to never delete any messages on the server, so if I download all the mail to my harddrive, I can still check it online with webmail, my PDA, etc.

5. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

i Tried that for awhile, but couldn't keep track of what messages I had already responded to, etc. Also, you can't save sent messages while online, but can while using outlook. Got really confusing. I'm absent minded, so I need things as organized as possible.

6. mild

mild Member

+1 to that Jon.

Personally, I use Gmail combined with Google Desktop. GD archives everything - emails, links, websites, your hard drive - EVERYTHING, and maintains it whilst you are online. You just start typing in the name of the person you are after, or something you can remember about what you want... it drags it up in real time, and displays it as you type (you don't wait for the search to finish, it just finds it...)

Fantastic program... but I think its best for people on constant connections...?

7. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Check with your web service provider. I bet they have some sort of webmail which will do it for you. Even your ISP (that provides your internet access) should have webmail.

Sending mail using multiple servers (SMTP outgoing mail) should not be an issue if your ISP SMTP uses authentication.

8. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

My web providers e-mail console is WAY too slow. I just tried it, it's as bad as Yahoo. Also, just for the record, when I POP mail into Outlook it takes about 5 seconds. When I Pop the SAME mail into yahoo, it takes several minutes for the Yahoo window to come back up.

9. stevieray

stevieray Member

Research IMAP protocol. When I was with an ISP that supported this format of mail delivery, I thought it was the bomb. I know that for a very small fee you can pay for an IMAP account with a few companies online. Basically, it syncs mail on their server with Outlook. The mail stays on their server, but you get to use Outlook as your email console. It works similarly to an exchange server without the cost or complexity. This works perfectly for people who have multiple machines (laptop, desktop, home, etc.).

10. jeak

jeak Member

My own experience with free e-mail services like Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc., is that you get what you pay for. Even a paid Yahoo subscription let me down. I now pay about $15 a year for FastMail. It's been working great so far. Tons of features and no graphics, which makes it really fast. There are many other paid services, but www.fastmail.fm is working for me. Totally worth the price. I've also tried MailSnare (too slow and cumbersome) and Runbox (too expensive and unreliable).

11. landru64

landru64 Member

i host and use email at pair.com. very reliable. imap and pop both. i'd suggest you use outlook express, keep the mails local and use copernic or google desktop search to index the emails. you'll be able to find anything just by typing a keyword or part of a keyword.