OT: sonic youth.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stephen_b, Aug 10, 2008.

1. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

So... i started playing with this band, and i like them, but they say they're WAY influenced by SY, and somehow, they were not on my radar at all. where do i start, what's their best stuff... what are some other bands that go well with sonic youth?

by the by... i'm not some kid that is too young for them, they simply just never crossed my path! just out of curiosity, are there any band that are huge that are up your alley, that you might have just didn't get in to?

2. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Start with Daydream Nation.

[​IMG]

BTW - if they are influenced by SY then you better get hip to open tunings and feedback. Good times.

3. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

heh... its all feedback... not that there's anything wrong with that, thats what they told me they wanted me to do! from practice 1, "can you make a bunch of feedback?"

it all makes sense now.

personally, i want to make loud noise, but i want it to be more formatted that just to be feedback.

4. orange worker

orange worker Supporting Member

listen to "The Diamond Sea"

5. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The Evol album is more agressive w/out reverting to feedback.
    The Goo album is great, very much a classic, with better songwriting.

FWIW the "Daydream Nation" album bores the pants off me. If that's all they're into, better move on.

6. Mike P

Mike P Member

Evol and Sister are my favorites. I agree that they're aggressive without excessive feedback. You may also want to listen to some My Bloody Valentine. Good Luck

7. mild

mild Member

In an interview, Thurston Moore said that the excessive feedback was born early in their careers as a necessity - they'd use the feedback to mask them whilst retuning.

My personal favorite song is still "Incinerate" from "Rather Ripped". I'd heartily recommend Sonic Nurse as a good follow up album to Daydream Nation.

Also worth getting hold of Thurston's Solo releases. "Trees Outside the Academy" is very good.

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

Murray St. is great too for some later SY

9. orange worker

+1

i saw them play a bunch of songs off that & NYC Ghosts & Flowers right after Sept. 11th at Bowery. What a show.

10. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

man that would have rocked. i got to see them do DN at pitchfork last year which was completely awesome. :dude

11. capnrock

capnrock Member

My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., Mission of Burma, Velvet Underground, Television, The Stooges, Patti Smith - all awesome and in the Sonic Youth vein...and Yo La Tengo...and Super Chunk...basically the late 80s and early 90s college rock sound.
    Speaking of Dinosaur Jr., I just got into them over the past couple years...I was maybe a little late on that train. They rock, though.
    +1 Rather Ripped. Incinerate is great, as is Do You Believe in Rapture?

12. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

one of my favorite bands:

Rather Ripped...their most recent regular album and full of really great stuff...

Sonic Nurse has some great songs.

Evol is one of their first real classics (Tom Violence, Shadow of a Doubt, Expressway to your skull)

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star has the amazing "Bull in the Heather" song and a few other gems...not their best album overall but some great songs there...

Daydream Nation has some great stuff (Teenage Riot) and some that doesn't move me as much.

Screaming Fields of Sonic Love is a good greatest "hits" although it doesn't capture their most recent albums

they do much more than feedback and lots of cool stuff to explore in their music IMHO.

13. orange worker

it did :)

Tom Verlaine from Television opened and was great. Cat Power played too but she didn't bother tuning her guitar or playing full songs. She did cry though.

14. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

well that tends to be the highlight of her shows :crazy

I still love Moon Pix though.

btw pretty much all of the bands capnrock just named are why i play guitar :dude

15. orange worker

I've been listening to You Are Free all week. Just not good in show.

some great bands in his list :D

16. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

pavement (my namesake!), dino jr, ylt, mbv & sy are all huge influences in what I do... lots of other stuff in there too but those pretty much nail the foundation

17. soul1

soul1 Member

Sister is definetly my fav album by them... followed by Daydream, EVOL, Goo and Washing Machine.

Out of their newer albums Murray St. is my choice. I couldn't really get into Rather Ripped.

18. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Yeah, EVOL, Sister and Daydream Nation.

And don't plan on figuring out any songs until you figure out their tunings.

It's not just tunings either - they string with odd gauges too. I used to able to play pretty much all of Sister and I remember it involved stringing with 2 Es 2 As and 2 Ds...Alot of the tunings are unison pairs and you'll get that chorusing effect.

I love Sonic Youth. They got their start with Glenn Branca I believe...http://www.glennbranca.com/

19. seiko

seiko Member

Some of them, with less close-voiced tunings are fairly fake-able in standard. I recall "Sugar Kane" being fairly easy to cop in standard and "Dirty Boots" is possible as well, long time ago though.

20. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Yep, "Dirty Boots" one pretty much the first song I ever accidentally figured out on guitar. Tres simple, and always sounds cool.