• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

OT suggestions for 18w build

SteelerFan88

I am doing an 18w Lite type of build (2xEL84) cathode biased and am trying to decide on an output tranny. I want max headroom, BIG/tight bottom with a nice chime on top ( I do NOT like dark sounding OT's). What are your top pics ? Just to be clear....I do not care about cost.... I want THE GOODS ! post your top choices that you have had success with :)

wyatt

I am doing an 18w Lite type of build (2xEL84) cathode biased and am trying to decide on an output tranny. I want max headroom, BIG/tight bottom with a nice chime on top ( I do NOT like dark sounding OT's). What are your top pics ? Just to be clear....I do not care about cost.... I want THE GOODS ! post your top choices that you have had success with :)
These words don't go together. The "18-watt" doesn't do headroom because its PI drives the power tubes so aggressively.

SteelerFan88

I guess I should have said, "the most clean headroom I can get". I am well aware of the 18 watt's voice. I have used Heyboer in the past with good results. I am just looking at trying something different for this one. I may try the TO22 or TO20 OT from David Allen's web page. It is made by Heyboer but voiced to his specific specs....maybe worth a try. David has a good ear for tone :)

t***9

Gold Supporting Member
I'd talk to Trinity Amps up in Ontario. Their amps sound great and their transformers are made by Heyboer I think, but to their specs. One thing nice about them is the bass doesn't get woofy like some 18W PT's do. Talking to them will clear up a lot for you as they make many versions of 18W amps and have been down all the paths. Good luck!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom