OT: tube powered musical tesla coil?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by conundrum, Feb 12, 2008.

1. conundrum

conundrum Member

OK. So tesla coil's can play music by rapidly turning off and on.
    And you can make a tesla coil using a transmitting tube.
    So....It begs the question.....How do we make it so I can play guitar through one.

[​IMG]

This is the basic circuit for a VTTC (vacuum tube tesla coil).
    What would be needed to play this sucker?
    In the current schematic L2 sets the frequency at which it oscillates through positive feedback. If you were to replaced L2 which some other high voltage musical signal to the grid, would it switch the coil on and off properly? Or would you keep L2 and inject a carrier signal on top of it? Surely someone on here can help me in this noble pursuit.:rotflmao

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Bump Tesla Coil still causing trouble after all these years?

Can the OP's ? be addressed

3. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

4. conundrum

conundrum Member

I know it's been done before, but it's always been digital solid state versions.:puh If we can figure out a tube, analog version....well that'd just be awesome.:D

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

The triggering is similar whether you use a tube based Tesla coil or a solid state one.

6. conundrum

conundrum Member

Hmmm, seems that you need to have the signal travel through fiber optics for safety issues. Meh, I'm not interested anymore. I just wanted a way to do this with no digitizing...(well there would be digitizing, sorta, in that the gate would be on/off, I was just gonna control said gate with a tube) I guess that's how the first computers worked eh?