Other amps like the Univalve?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steelplayer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

I love the idea of the Univalve. A single power tube, the ability to swap out to different power tube types with out a trip to the tech, the low wattage, etc. I've previously owned a Bivalve, and while it was occasionally stellar, it was too much power to get a good tone in the smallish clubs we play. I'm considering a Univalve, but I would love to hear some opinions on other options. The criteria: Single power tube ( I have a a good supply of nos singles or unmatched nos pairs), ability to self bias for different tube types-el34, 6l6 etc., 15-18 watts, takes pedals well, would do well with a THD 2x12 cab, leaning more towards a vintage voice instead of modern, and the possibility of different tone stack voicings. I use a two amp rig, so this would definitely be the dirt/lead side of the rig.

Thanks!
    best to all,
    LarryW

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Here is one to check out:

http://www.londonpower.com/kits/sekit.htm

Here is what it says, from the website:

"
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The London Power SE KIT AMP is a complete amplifier package - less tubes. Everything is mounted on a single printed circuit board, so assembly is a breeze! [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is a high-tech single-ended amplifier with sophisticated features. The preamp offers a Clean and a Drive channel, selected via the front-panel switch or via remote foot-switch. A two-colour LED on both the amp and the foot-switch gives clear indication of which sound you've selected, and helps you find the foot-switch in the dark. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A two-way EQ and over-all [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LOUD[/FONT] provides tone shaping and volume control respectively. The single-ended output stage is cleaner than typical guitar SE amps - it sounds like a much larger amp. Power Scaling lets you dial down the output continuously from 0-5W, depending on the tube installed. You can plug in any standard octal-based power tube: 6CA7, 6V6, 6L6, EL-34, KT-66, KT-77, KT-88, 5881, 6550, or similar. The preamp's two tubes can be any mix of 12AT7, 12AU7, 12AY7, 12AX7, or similar. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extensive hum filtering and proper grounding assure noise-free operation. The kit is world-wide mains compatible at the flick of the rear panel [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]RANGE[/FONT] switch. Custom shielded toroidal power and output transformers are light and quiet. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The kit can be assembled in a few hours. Only simple hand tools are required and a multimeter to perform some tests prior to playing. A North American IEC cord is provided, but builders in other locales will have to provide their own local mains cord (available at any computer, electronics or hardware store). Tubes are also provided by the builder."[/FONT]

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

4. steelplayer

steelplayer Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. Keep em coming!

That London Power web site is a great resourse. Thx for the tip there!

-L

5. magnus02

magnus02 Member

6. Mark C

Mark C Member

Ummm, how about a Univalve? I'm not sure if you were aware of this, but the Bivalve can be run with one power tube, you just leave one socket empty.

7. Dave

Dave Member

He bought my Univalve (w/Power Scaling) shortly after he started this thread. :)

8. mmasters

mmasters Senior Member

+ 1

9. Wayne

Wayne Member

My Siegmund Midnight Special fits the bill for me.

Right now, I'm using a 5Y3 rectifier and an EL37 power tube for about 8 watts of power. You can drop this in half by putting a 6V6 in place of the the EL37 or take it to 15 watts with a 5AR4 rectifier and one of the big power tubes.

"True Bypass" transformer-less reverb and a Celestion Alnico Blue speaker in a classy cabinet. Sounds great for cleans or cranked for leads. What's not to like? :)

http://www.siegmundguitars.com/MS.html