1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Other Guitar Forums

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DrumBob, Jul 6, 2020.

1. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

What other guitar forums do you regularly visit? I go to a couple of brand-specific ones that lately have become morgues for lack of participation. I won't mention names.

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

3. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Supporting Member

4. silverhawk

silverhawk Member

The Duncan forum - banned once or twice. Been banned from the Warmoth forum more times than I can count.

5. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

AGF-The moderators are want-to-be-cops types.
    GC - The moderators are almost non-existent
    TGP - The moderators are decent and consistent.

Guess where my guitar forum time is spent?

Sam Hill, urQuill, 9fingers and 2 others like this.
  6. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

Bob, for what it's worth I think the entire "guitar forum" thing has consolidated to right here. For better or worse (I think better in terms of discussion) the closure of HC and the waning of brand-specific ones has triggered a massive "network effect"... if you want to geek out on guitars, this is the place (but I do miss the old Hamer Fan Club).

The next frontier for guitar geeks may be Reddit. There's a guitar subreddit (r/guitars) but it's still the wild west. There's a much higher average of teenaged players playing Eruption, newer/younger players, etc. And the answer to every technical question is, "get a wrench and crank the truss rod." Lots of bad information, too... the one thing that prevents me from getting a Reddit account is that I know I'd spend way too much time there arguing.

7. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

The brand specific forums have moved predominantly to Facebook. I am active on a few Facebook groups that are brand related, and they get a good bit of activity. The Pedal Show's fan page has become a new one that I have gotten into, active, good knowledge base.

8. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Being a Tele guy, TDPRI is the other forum I check out. But mostly just here, nothing beats TGP!

9. natmiss

natmiss Member

I miss the old days of Harmony Central.

10. PartoftheDark

PartoftheDark Member

Tdpri has been a good resource over the years and I don’t even have an account. Same with offset guitars. I was on r/guitar for a bit, but reddit, being a hole people shout into and wonder why the hole gets mad, I didn’t feel super welcome there.

11. Drew66

Drew66 Member

I only belong on tgp as a member but I also lurk at Delcamp classical guitar forum, the jazz guitar forum which has already been mentioned, the acoustic guitar forum and seven string.org. In somewhat guitar related forums I occasionally will lurk on talk bass and the mandolin cafe.

urQuill likes this.
  12. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

The most apt description I've ever read. Well done.

13. skullfunkerry

skullfunkerry Member

thefretboard
    sevenstring.org (although only the 6-string threads)
    metalguitarist
    jcfonline (although there's so little activity on there these days that I only check it every few weeks)

14. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

TDPRI when I feel like being civil. TGP when I... don't. Talkbass when I'm in bass mode, which hasn't been for a while.

Reddit for anything else non-music related. Too fractured and silo'd to be useful for anyone other than people new to music and/or instrument. Too much to sift through. Google anything non-superficial music gear related, and it's either TDPRI or TGP first hit.

15. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I'm on a couple of Les Paul forums, and the Gibson one, but they're ghost towns compared to TGP.

Danzego, Beefeater and 70 Mach 1 like this.
  16. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

[​IMG]

17. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Same. I've been a TDPRI member for almost 10 years, still working on a year here but I dig it.

I was a member over at MyLesPaul for a few years, until the politics got way out of control. I sometimes go back and look around and I can't say I regret leaving.

amstrtatnut and Junco Partner like this.
  18. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

The only one I check now unless it comes up in a search result in TDPRI which is a decent place - anywhere else there just doesn't seem enough traffic to be worth regularly looking in on. I think the UMGF and the two Les Paul forums have been a wonderful resourse in their time but most of them feel like they're in their dotage now. I think forums generally probably aren't as popular as they used to be, it's just TGP has kind of collected everyone who still enjoys them so it's the one really lively place to hang out on.

Reddit I find infuriating in design and not my thing.

I really don't like unmoderated or loosely moderated forums. People riding roughshod over everyone else's feelings, being nasty to each other for the sake of it or constantly baiting to score points is really depressing to read and I can't be doing with it. One thing that makes TGP a good place to hang out is how on it the mods are in terms of keeping things in check.

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

Calling all Deadheads! Consider joining RUKIND. https://rukind.com/index.php

Traffic is slow there now following a brouhaha a year or so ago that led to a faction departing (I dropped out entirely myself for several months afterwards but when I returned eventually to have a peek, I saw the conversations are kind again now so I resumed participating).

It would be great to have you there, too. But even if you're not interested in participating on the forum, RUKIND's resources are superb. Check out, for example, the lyrics/chords/tabs section: https://rukind.com/gdpedia/titles

20. olejason

olejason Member

talkbass
    sevenstring
    mike's oud forums

I read ilovefuzz occasionally, they have the best classified section IMO

matw likes this.