Other OD's with OCD's touch responsiveness (for dirty-cleans)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ben_allison, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

I LOVE my OCD v2. I love how dynamic it is. I use it to add hair to my clean signal, so when I pick harder, it crunches nicely.

Are there any pedals that respond in a similar way?

While I love the OCD, it can be a bit "raspy" sometimes (which totally works when using it for higher-gain sounds). It'd be nice to find something that was a bit smoother; something that clipped the signal a bit more naturally.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Screw Driver
    Honey Bee
    Hotcake
    Hyper Pak

These are the most touch sensitive drives I've tried (along with the OCD).

3. paulgroove82

paulgroove82 Supporting Member

ZVex Box of Rock.

It's like the OCD, but a bit better! :)

4. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

RC booster. I replaced one of my OCDs with it. (the other was replaced by the bb preamp)

5. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

6. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

No way! I thought the BOR was way less realistic than the OCD... didn't clean up as well or have anywhere near the touch sensitivity.

7. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

The Hoeybee looks good... a bit pricey.

The Skreddy Scredriver and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine seem like good boxes.

Modded Blues Driver? Could it be further modded to have increased dynamics?

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

something along these lines:

The overdrive/distortion portion of the circuitry is based on a simple opamp gain stage with negative feedback and with a pair of crosscoupled clipping diodes at the output to clip the signal and thus create the distortion. A similar circuit topology is used in many other distortion pedals as well (e.g. the Proco Rat), but Fulltone uses a very clever modification that significantly separates this unit from most others. First off, instead of traditional diodes Fulltone uses NMOS transistors in diode configuration (gate and drain short-circuited), which already accredites for a great difference in tone. But the biggest difference is this: In the Proco Rat the two crosscoupled clipping diodes are directly connected to ground, meaning that as soon as the signal exceeds the threshold voltage Vth of the diodes (usually 0.7V), the signal gets clipped resulting in an output signal with a peak voltage of +/-Vth independent of the input signal amplitude. This naturally creates the wanted distortion, but also loses the dynamics of the signal. In the OCD, instead of connecting the diodes to ground potential, Fulltone uses a floating bias point which is connected to the input of the opamp stage. This creates a clipping threshold proportional to the input signal amplitude, resulting in a strong dependancy of the amount of distortion created to the input signal. This is the core idea of the enormous dynamics of the OCD.

9. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Ben, you are on the right path... Try OCD V1.4. Smoother, just as touch responsive. I traded a V1.2 when I had my V1.4 on order. I wish I had kept it. I'd use both!

10. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Vintage ProCo Rat. That pedal responds and reacts like an amp...not even joking.

11. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

See, the OCD (and I believe the Landgraff Mo'D) has a similar topology to the Rat, which is why I'm somewhat interested in it.

I used to have a Turbo Rat. It was good for heavier things, but wasn't "smooth and organic" at all.

Is the Vintage Rat natural sounding? Amp/tube like, non-fizzy clipping?

12. charless

charless Member

Does the Freakshow Brown Rabbit AND/OR the Keeley Rat have the same touch response as the OCD? I love the tone of a RAT.

C

13. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I have a vintage rat as well, and as cool as it is, it lacks in real world versatility IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I'm never getting rid of it, as it does sound great. But for the OP, I think the OCD is better for what you're after. I've had an OCD and I think it's really a killer pedal for just what you describe. I've also had the Brown Rabbit, which I found to be somewhere between the OCD and a vintage rat. The Brown Rabbit was way easier to dial in than the Rat, but the Rat just has this crazy nastiness (in a good way) that the BR just doesn't get. All that said, for general rocking, and dynamics, I prefer the OCD. Mind you, mine was a V3. I honestly would try out a v4 as I understand they smooth out the high end a bit.

14. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Maybe v4 is the way to go.

I have no problem modding mine... the goop is annoying but I'm patient :)

15. charless

charless Member

I have both the OCD v3 and v4.

The v3 is darker sounding, the v4 I have to bring the Tone knob a few notches below to match the v3.

The v4 has a germanim circuit IIRC .. not the v3 so there is the big difference, the v4 is a little more open sounding, but not by a huge mile.

The v4 has a red led .. the v3 a blue. :)

I don't believe it is easy to mod the v3 to v4 .. you may not want to anyway (see above).

16. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Check out a Liquid Sunshine. Very dynamic and fairly smooth.

17. DemonOfTheFall

DemonOfTheFall Member

+1 on the Screwdriver. Very touch sensitive

18. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

can't beat the honey bee. totally worth the price.

19. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

So, the general impression I've gotten from TGP (based on a variety of threads) for pedals that have great touch response, big dynamics, and natural-sounding clipping are:

Honey Bee
    Liquid Sunshine
    Screwdriver

How do the following pedals compare:

- Tim/Timmy
    - Keeley BD-2
    - Keeley Rat
    - MI Audio Blues Boy
    - Barber LTD

20. geetarboy

geetarboy Member