Other pedals into an ETHOS CLEAN for direct recording..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bh., Mar 1, 2015.

1. bh.

bh. Member

Signal chain: Suhr telecaster - Manila Blues Screamer - Ethos Clean (used as amp and speaker sim, Always on) direct to computer

Sharing a short demo of a TS style pedal my friend built, but I also wanna share how well the ethos clean takes other pedals for direct recording. I've done some ampless gigs with just the ethos clean at the end of my pedalboard (different fuzz, ODs, delay) and have been very happy with the results!

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

It's a great platform, isn't it? I've put several drives in front of mine (Skreddy HFD, Jetter Gold Standard, Amp 11, Archer, Simble) and they all sound great with the Ethos both direct and into a tube amp.

3. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm often tempted to buy an ethos for the direct option. This guitar still sounds direct to me. Not too unlike, when I run my Strymon Bigsky direct with cab sim on (albeit the Ethos Cleans sounds a little better to my ear). I'd be curious how your Ethos Clean would sound with an impulse response added in your DAW. I bet it would really come to life.

Tim Lerch's demo of the Ethos Overdrive Amp (which is a mic'd cab,not direct) sounds pretty darn good. Makes me want to pull the trigger bad.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. bh.

bh. Member

@jamar yeah the ethos amp is actually my main amp, attached at the end of the board. I just bring a lighweight cab and a long speaker cable. It's the ultimate portable rig for me. I have an old version of the ethos amp though, so it still has the older speaker sim design. Then new speaker sim on the ethos clean sounds a lot better, that's why I prefer that for direct applications.
    I've tried using different cab IRs as well as the torpedo cab software version with the ethos. here:

In the end, to my ears, the built in speaker sim seems to be on par, though yeah, I'm sure adding maybe some reverb IRs would get you more of the "amp in the room" sound. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. bh.

bh. Member

@62Tele yeah! Btw, do you use it as a boost or an always on preamp with your tube amp? How do you have it set?

6. uyarchie

uyarchie Member

I use the Ethos Clean as the last pedal in my chain and use it as a clean, always-on pedal. I have a Model H and a Lovepedal Tchula currently, I don't really stack them together although I have a Mythical Overdrive In the effects loop of the Ethos Clean for boost. I really like the current GAC switch, Switching from amp to mixer or vice versa will almost always get you right in the ballpark sound-wise from where you left off.

7. bh.

bh. Member

@uyarchie cool! The Lovepedal cot50 (blue) which the tcula was based on is one of my main overdrives too. How do you set the toggle switches and hi cut on your ethos?

8. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

With a tube amp, I use the pedal as a clean boost/EQ, essentially a second clean channel. I typically set it with the soft clip on, and fairly neutral. It stacks beautifully with other gain pedals and adds some great depth to the tone. If I'm running direct I lose the clean boost function but I just make my trem pedal pull double duty (depth all the way down etc).

9. bh.

bh. Member

@62tele Thanks! Will try that! haha, i do that trick with my tremolo too when i need a boost.

10. Jamar

Jamar Supporting Member

thanks for the extra video, BH. yeah you're right there isn't much difference in your two videos.

11. bh.

bh. Member

@jamar np!! Sounds like the ethos simulates a close-miked cab, so you definitely get more versatility from software sims too.

12. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

bh., I'm liking the look and tone of your TS pedal and how it interacts with the Ethos Clean. Is that a one-off, or does your friend sell more of them?

Thanks.

13. bh.

bh. Member

14. uyarchie

uyarchie Member

@bh., the COT is indeed a great pedal, although I get lost on a lot of different versions they have released. I play with the high-cut around 9 or fully open (counterclockwise) and presence at 2-3 o'clock, I have a fairly dark guitar and have a Belle Epoch before the Ethos which is also a little dark sounding pedal. Also, not a fan of the bright switch unless I don't use other dirt pedals as it raises the floor noise when I stack them. Congrats on the new album by the way! =)

15. bh.

bh. Member

@uyarchie Thanks!!! And thanks for sharing your settings. Btw, about the brite switch, I recently saw a Robben F clip playing his Dumble ODS set clean. I read that his master volume has an integrated brite switch which is on all the time. anyway, I tried it out too with the 3 toggle switches up and on tle mode, soft drive off. I found it gets you in the ballpark :)

16. uyarchie

uyarchie Member

Thats awesome bh.! will try that tonight. On the regular ethos too, I tried playing along one of his songs (Rugged Road) on the OD side of the pedal without the boost and swear they sound almost identical if not the same. anyway, back on topic ;)

17. DanR

DanR Member

I use a Timmy and a *** drive (Zendrive clone) for OD through the Clean. I am happy with the results. The direct recording sound of the Ethos Clean has beat everything I've tried so far, including the POD 2.0. I've not tried any of the recent digital offerings, but I'm happy with the Ethos.

18. bh.

bh. Member

@danR Yup! Agreed!

@uyarchie I checked out that track, yeah it does sound like the basic overdrive sound of the ethos. :) btw, here are my bright settings for going into an amp or direct (using the speaker sim).

[​IMG]

19. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Ive got a MP Simble coming in and im going to see how it sounds through the Kingsley Squire tubed dumble-ish pedal.
    If it doesnt floor me, im going to look into getting the Ethos Clean to pair up with the Simble.