• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Other players like Gambale?

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Hey there!

So, over the years, I've developed a playing style sort of adopting chord-melody to more rock and pop or fusion type music. This is particularly true of my original material. Not that I don't enjoy playing single-note lines and the frequent shredding indulgences, but since I often find myself playing alone, I tend to write in a jazz chord-melody style, even though it's not necessarily traditional "jazz" (although I also do play RB standards in the jazz-chord melody style)

I think the closest thing I can compare it to is Frank Gambale, particularly in the GHS trio (Gambale, Hamm, Smith with Stu Hamm and Steve Smith). He definitely employs this type of playing in this format.

So, what other players play in this style (chord-melody, but not traditional jazz)?

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
Scott Henderson certainly employs multi-stop sequences in his playing. I admire you for trying that, I have always tried to stack harmonies for lines; it's a skill that you can surely use to stand out from the rest.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
John Scofield plays his tunes in his own chord melody style. And he is a superior composer. Check out his Electric Outlet record.

Hush

Gold Supporting Member
Mark Lettieri often incorporates that style in his playing

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Pat Martino has done some of this, though his playing is more hard bop, imo.

marvin cobain

many great jazz chord melodist don't play only jazz standards but also pop tunes.
This is the amazing Ted Greene playing Joni Mitchell's Both sides now

Wim Overgaauw playing Elton John

this one is a guy I've recently discovered on youtube that make very beautiful arrangements of pop tunes

and this one is another

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
There's nobody quite like FG-he has a unique voice largely due to his economy picking and lately his tuning which he started using around the Coming to Your Senses album. However, as people posted above there are many jazz/rock/fusion players who play in a trio format and employ chord melody - Scott Henderson, Mark Lettieri, Andy Timmons, Alex Machacek, Allan Holdsworth, Allen Hinds, Jeff Richman, Jaime Kime, Gerald Gradwohl, Wayne Krantz, Oz Noy, Mike Seal (w/ Jeff Sipe Trio) and more.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Allan Holdsworth comes to mind quite obviously to me for what you describe.
holdsworth gotta be mentioned here. similar stylistically to gambale but he plays like he's using a whole other hemisphere of his brain.

Fusionshred

Silver Supporting Member
Cool! Thanks! Som obvious mentions and some new ones I've never heard of. I really like Mark Lettieri!

skronker

2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions
Never heard of Mark Letteri before.
Good player with a good sense of composition.

and just another example of the fact there are so many good unknown or little known players in this world and why I don't even bother to record or play out...no real reason to, it's already covered

micycle

Check out Wayne Krantz's "Long To Be Loose" album.
I was going to mention Wayne! I only just recently discovered him - I bought a Line 6 POD in a NYC guitar shop and the guy said "You ever hear of Wayne Krantz?" and proceeded to tell me about him when I said no. The POD was his and there on consignment. I googled him when I got home because he sounded right up my alley and holy cow. The guy is amazing. I'm hoping some of that magic will transfer over to me as I use his POD. ;)