Other than FCB, small MIdi board with 1 expression built in?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Baminated, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

Tried google , seems slim

2. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

There aren't many options. Most are expensive, especially from small builders. You may be better off learning how to build one from scratch using a $50 project board. Of course, once all the parts are factored in, the cost may be ten times that, but it would be exactly the size you want.

3. Baminated

Baminated Member

Any links to supply houses or kits??

4. moonblack

moonblack Member

peak2005 fcb4x or peak2005 fcb4n with source audio expression.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

6. moonblack

moonblack Member

yes with fcb4n , but not with source audio midi exp.

7. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

It hasn't hit the market yet. I'm waiting to test one out myself.

8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I have both.

The FCB4N is well worth the cost and has plenty of flexibility to it if you can accept the number of simultaneous command limitations (4 program change on 4 channels and 8 control changes, but only on 1 channel). I had to pair it with the MIDI Solutions Event Processor to break out the CC commands onto individual channels.

The FCB4X is extremely powerful, well beyond the what the FCB4N offered. Very little limitation. In fact, the programming for it is so extensive, having only 4 buttons feels like the limitation now. If he ever puts this type of firmware into the larger pedal he makes and keeps the cost relative, it should be a big hit.

I'd like it to have a MIDI IN as well so you could store and reload configurations, so that is another minor limitation.

I tried an AMT Expression pedal with the FCB4X and it worked great. I didn't try it with the FCB4N.

BTW, the switches themselves feel great on these controllers. They have just a slight bit of tactile feedback and are very easy to press.

It took a couple weeks to receive each one here in the U.S.. Very well packed. I've read some people complain they are "flimsy" and I don't get it. They are light weight aluminum, but extremely sturdy. I don't see any flex in them. I couldn't even imagine putting the amount of pressure on them that would be required to bend one.

9. Baminated

Baminated Member

so, how can someone program a MIDI pedal so that it functions like an mfx floor controller in that you can just toggle different fx on and off , each effect being assigned to a different button, but over the same amp model ?

10. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

What are you using it for?

If you're using it with a computer, pad, or smart phone you'd be better off finding something that uses USB instead of the old pin systems. Also, most of these are bus powered so you don't have to worry about an external power supply.

A little different, but check out the Keith McMillen SoftStep2. You can program any of the pads to sense pressure changes, so you can use them like an expression pedal to control volume, wah, or anything else. They also sense X/Y changes, so you could do something like set it so pressure controls the wah treadle, and rocking your foot forward raises or lowers Q and rocking your foot side to side raises or lowers fuzz or whatever else you want it to do.

MIDI is really fun when you start getting deeper into it!