1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Our corporate cover band.....new gigs, new set lists..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Mayfield, May 21, 2011.

1. Mayfield

Mayfield Silver Supporting Member

Opinions are more than welcome!

A bunch of us that work together put together a band for a one off gig at work and it went so well we have many more lined up. Thus we have been playing out here and there to get our chops in shape and to get a good set list going. Generally it will be 2-3 sets a gig....here is our list as we have it today. The range of ages will be 20's to 50's and a diverse group of tastes.

We have a lead singer/guitarist, keys/sax, drums, bass, MC/singer, and I play lead guitar.

Current set lists...

Hello There - Cheap Trick
    Are you Gonna Go My Way - Kravitz
    Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran
    Magic -B.O.B. with Rivers Cuomo
    Learn to Fly - FF
    What you Need INXS
    Mr. Brightside - The Killers
    Tempted - Squeeze
    Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm version
    Lump - Presidents of the US
    Signed Sealed Delivered - Stevie Wonder
    Beverly Hills - Weezer
    Jealous Again - Crowes
    Next to You - The Police
    Uprising - Muse
    Smooth/Oye Como Va Medly - Santana
    Don't Stop Believin - Journey
    Gel - Collective Soul
    Jammin - Marley
    Angel of Harlem - U2
    Electic Ave - Eddy Grant
    Closer to the Edge - 30 Seconds to Mars
    Basket Case - Green Day

2. Baminated

Baminated Member

Hmmmmm, not sure if you have been playing out at bars or actual corp events/weddings - but that set list is not consistent w/what corp clients / brides ask for.

I can see this working at a bar, but not at corp events. Good tunes, though. The reason DJ's get more gigs is because they play what most clients want. It is up to us to meet that PLUS exceed such.

If you want the high end corp gigs and escape the bars, ya gotta have a tenor male vocalist who can hit Steve Perry / Bon Jovi / Marvin Gaye / Garth brooks ranges & a female vocalist who can sing rock, R&B, and country

at least two horns or sequenced horns & a keysman who has real gear and knows how to use it to cover all the sounds

I would search around the web for the successful corp bands set lists to get a feel for this kind of market. I've been doing this work for 2 years now - nice to get paid BEFORE downbeat not inhale smoke !

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's a band made up of guys he works with.

4. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

i think the title of the thread is a little misleading. i don't think the OP is trying to put together a corporate/wedding band. looking at the material, i think he's going for more of a bar band type of vibe.

5. Baminated

Baminated Member

Sorry for the misinterpretation. I think that is a great list for bar gigs of different age groups, and I like playing on those tunes. My other band is a bar band, and we do Beverly Hills Learn To Fly- really fun songs - I actually sing BH

6. Mayfield

Thanks everyone for chiming in......

Just to help clarify...

This will be a corporate band in the sense that we will be playing for our own folks internally at a number of different types of gigs. Kickoffs, company picnics, special events, etc. Anywhere from 150 to 5K people. There is no desire to get people on the floor dancing or anything like that....just to keep folks engaged and entertained. Of course, if they want to shake their thang....more power to em!! LOL

We are actually adding some more R&B to round ourselves out a bit. We have two lead singers and between them, we can pull off a pretty broad range of music. We just tested Signed, sealed, delivered from Stevie the other day at a small gig for about 250 folks and it killed.

My point of this thread was to just gauge songs that we may be missing that others have played, or have witnessed at these types of gigs that may be beneficial.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

7. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I've played a lot of those tunes at one point or another (more referring to the Weezer, Foo Fighters, new[er] stuff) and none of it went over... It's amazing how different areas react differently to songs. Those are all fun tunes to play though. I know you're not really trying to be a 'successful' cover band just so much to have fun, but I just had to throw that out there for whatever reason.

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

So true.....I see other guys post their set lists and songs that they play and I sit there scratching my head and say to myself, "man, that is great stuff but would never go over in the places in this area." It's a shame, even a conservative classic rock band would have a tough time finding viable opportunities outside of shot/beer joints. Used to be more classic rock, which has given way to mostly party/dance bands.

9. Mayfield

This really helps guys...I do appreciate it!!

A neighbor of mine plays a few corporate gigs a year, as they are mostly a bar band on the weekends. He said that some of the more modern stuff gets people's attention and keeps it fresh, but does not always get the reaction you would expect. They came up with a rocked up version of Sexy Back instead, as an exampke, and it absolutely kills.

Finicky crowds....darn them!

10. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

We play one corporate gig a year, they send us a list of tunes they want, we learn them as best we can. We get paid lotso cash for playing their lame tunes, we have to wear suits and ties, show up early, eat with the help, they limit the drinks we are served.

11. Baminated

Baminated Member

Sounds like you guys have it rockin'. I sincerely hope that you charge what pro musicians charge, otherwise it will drive the market down. I know that you guys do this for fun, and have real jobs, but it's real kick to the nuts for the pro musician community, when people charge less just because they "can".

I hope you guys are paying yourselves at least 2-300 a man, after expenses

12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Sounds like UR bitter about it ...
    Believe me, that's the way it is where ya go ... it really ain't so bad :YinYang

13. Mayfield

Actually, for us to get paid for the gig would go against our guidelines on integrity. We are basically the house band now for internal gigs for our fellow employees. The thought of asking for money was never even a thought. It's not like we have taken gigs away.....the company still uses a few bands for certain types of events as they are not about to pull us out of our day jobs to start flying around the country for gigs.

I hear your concern, don't get me wrong.....it's just a different situation for us being that we are fellow employees.

Thanks again everyone!