Our Drummer is too loud... help!!!

streetbl

I've spent the last year trying everything I can to quiet the drums in my basement studio. Sound treatment, Switching to In-Ears, telling him it's too loud. I've played with several other drummers at my place. It's loud, but not ears ringing all night loud. The dude plays with tree trunks, and breaks sticks regularly. We've mentioned lighter sticks... and he thinks they will break too often (insert me raging about just playing softer). I don't know what else to do, I thought that our whole band on In-Ears was the solution, nope they bleed from 3-4 mics we have in the room. I'm trying to hear my voice over the drums, but when I turn up the drums just follow. I need help!

schmokes15

There’s very little difference between “my drummer is too loud” and “my drummer can’t keep time”. They both negatively impact the music in their own way. But the only real solution is to move on to someone who fits the band if your drummer is unable to improve.

sleewell2

man that sounds frustrating. drummer in my last band was the same way. i only realized how negatively it was affecting our sound until i started jamming with our current guy. he is such a pro its like a night and day difference. the overall mix is so much better. you can hear every instrument, it makes it so much easier to write music and enjoy what we are doing.

life is way too short. sounds like you have tried everything. i would just fire him at this point. maybe let him know how you are feeling and give him one more chance if you are in a good mood.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
I am trying to get my drummer to not be too loud also. He is working on it and I can see he is putting in the effort but also falls back into his habit of playing hard from time to time. Also his cymbals are all very loud cymbals. I cant just tell him to drop a grand on new cymbals that fit my preferences and I cannot afford to buy them myself. The last rehearsal he mentioned possibly getting an electronic kit. That might be a good solution.

gigs

Next practice, just have everyone else turn down so low that he cant hear it. All anyone will hear is drums. Then you all look at him and tell him you are not turning up until he turns it down. Then meet him in the middle. If he starts to creep louder, stop the song and tell him. Stop the song each time until he gets it. Never again play a song with drums too loud at practice. Just stop in the middle of the song. He will either get it or quit. Either way, problem solved.

kiki_90291

Get a new drummer. Honestly. I started off as a drummer (played for 20 years before switching to guitars) and one of the first things I learned was how to "turn down." there's no reason to play that loud - especially in a basement rehearsal space and if he hasn't figured that out and/or isn't working on how to figure it out, he never will. Find someone who has more respect for his/her bandmates.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Lol...we just had our first rehearsal since the pandemic. The drummer was out of his mind, hitting too hard, rushing songs, overplaying.
It got so bad, I stopped a song and asked him to mellow out a little, he explained he had been cooped up too long and was just happy to be playing again..

But, drummer playing too hard just ruins dynamics and is a big issue because everyone has to raise their volume to adjust, making it too loud..this has to be expressed to him.

MagicNelson

What part of the drums does he hit the loudest? Usually it’s snare & cymbals. In this case, a t-shirt over the snare helps. Different cymbals (thinner, smaller) can also help. If you need to reduce the volume further, thinner sticks or even the dreaded HotRods could be what’s needed for your space.

Trending Topics