Our new bass player is amazing ... but a flat earther, a very militant one ...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Axeaholic, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

It's funny you say that. One of my closest loves 2 things more than life itself: to be a contrarian and to get a rise out of people. And that intersection is thing of beauty, or a living h3ll. LOL!

Uncle Bob likes this.
  2. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Uncle Bob likes this.
  3. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Nothing beats getting the opinions from strangers on an internet forum!

Abram4235 and bdm like this.
  4. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

I think the interesting fact is that this thread went viral by TGP standards (27 pages in about 48 hours). All of this in the Sound Hound (all things music) Lounge. Why does this resonate so much more than other more music-related posts?

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps because, in many ways, human dynamics/relationships are more interesting than incremental hardware mods and the like?

Corvid, Emigre, Hofnarr and 6 others like this.
  6. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Have you been to space? Have you see the earth? Then you are calling it a fact based?? See where I'm going here? I fall into the camp of question everything. I believe the earth is a sphere not because of NASA but because I've seen enough objects in space through telescopes that around spherical and have traveled the globe a few times, and personally know sailors who've done it dozens of times, and there's not way this planet could be any other thing. Maybe he's not had these experiences??

Bottom line is respect. Either treat him has your friend and bandmate or treat him as flat earther. Think it's obvious which way the masses are going here.

7. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

First, I have to say that this is the most epic thread in the recent history of TGP.

You speak of respect. You and I are having a discussion. We can't agree. I tell you, "let's agree to disagree". You say "NO, because I'm right, and I'm going to pound you on the head with my beliefs until you see it my way."

Who is being disrespectful in that scenario? THIS is the crux of the issue with this bass player. It's not about his beliefs per se. It's about his insistence to constantly discuss it. You're right. It IS about respect. And in this scenario, the bass player doesn't have any.

Btw, your assertion of "have you been to space?" is a logical fallacy in the purest sense. Do you need to drown to know that you can't breathe under water? Or has science proven well enough that humans can't breathe under water? How would you test that theory?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

These guys do not have access to telescopes, nor would they want to go to a public outreach (star party) and see the planets rotating for themselves.

Every bit of information they have is 2nd hand conspiracy stuff. They could also take a trip to Australia, and watch the stars circle the Southern celestial pole, but they won't do that either - in fact they believe that everybody in the southern hemisphere is part of the conspiracy, and is lying (no kidding, they really do).

The bottom line is they are wired for distrust, and flat-earth beliefs check all the boxes for them. They believe it because they like it, it suits them, and they don't want anything to interfere with it.

It's a lot like the mindset of an old guy gets when some hot younger chick latches on to him. It doesn't matter what his friends or family say, or concerns they express that she's just after his money - he likes her, he likes how she makes him feel, and he feels lucky he's getting his needs met, and no matter how wrong everybody else says it is, he's going to be bedding her until his kicker gives out.

Flat earth is a totally fulfilling belief for them, meeting all of their emotional needs. The likelihood of convincing them otherwise is the likelihood of getting that old man to stop bedding that hot young gold-digger.

Ain't gonna happen.

9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

How many members here do you know, and how well, that you can write something so didactic?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Randy Redden and A-Bone like this.
  10. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

11. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

A belief that a flat earther really believes the earth is flat is just playing into their hands.

I get no pleasure out of their game and refuse to submit myself to their nonsense not because I think they're dumb, but because I'm no one's play toy.

But I'll tell you what, if I was one of those sort of people, this place would be a gold mine for trolling.

Old Guy likes this.
  12. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I would immediately lose respect for someone who believes the earth is flat.

Corvid, bruno_desmartass and Old Guy like this.
  13. Jon Silberman

I understand we don't always see the world similarly, and I deleted my post shortly after posting it because, upon reflection, I assumed you would find it unconvincing. But I'm glad you clicked on it and responded beforehand.

Perhaps where we differ is on respect versus tolerance.

I have not been to Denali National Park in Alaska but that does not have me challenging whether it's a fact. I.e., having a first hand experience in the flesh of X is not a sine qua non of accepting its factuality.

You apparently can respect a belief in the earth being flat. I don't, but I can tolerate the belief. I can also respect its holder as a human being and decide my limited time on the planet is best spent elsewhere.

I often ask people who tell me, "No way I can respect X person or belief," not to respect what they can't or won't, but simply to be tolerant. Much in our world is more due tolerance than respect. We can, often, choose to tolerate even what we can't or won't respect - it's why, for example, the famed museum in LA is called the Museum of Tolerance, not Respect.

I believe (a belief) that the world would be a better place were we all more tolerant. I also believe that even if I or you are imperfect at respecting or tolerating, we should still promote those values. Just because one is not perfect at himself modeling a particular mindset or behavior doesn't make the mindset or behavior, itself, incorrect.

Suave Eddie and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  14. Bussman

Bussman Member

Your bass player has bigger problems... Scientists now say even the universe might be an expanding sphere.

Abram4235 and Drew816 like this.
  15. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

16. INX

INX Member

Can a rail gun hit a target 100 miles away?

Do objects like mountains/etc appear around 200 miles away when they should be below the horizon, given the curve?

Are there any flights over Antarctica?

The main trouble is practically no one has done any work to prove what they've accepted wrong, so they believe instead of know.

17. tfblaster

tfblaster Supporting Member

This made me laugh out loud.

Mickey_C and Woowoo like this.
  18. Jon Silberman

Cosmology is among my avocational interests.

Scientists don't call the universe an expanding sphere. Don't be fooled by the 2-dimensional illustrative pictures in articles such as this one. In fact, the most appropriate 2-dimensional representation of what we know today about our universe would be a saddle but even that is just a limited 2-dimensional attempt to show something that can never be accurately shown in print: the characteristics of being without boundaries in space or time.

[​IMG]

19. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

When we say that space is flat, we don't mean it's flat like a piece of paper - although that can be used to illustrate this - what we mean is that parallel lines will always be parallel, triangles will always add up to 180 degrees, and corners will always be right-angles. It's about the nature of space - it's not saying that space is 2d, because we know it is 3d.

If space is a sphere, then it drastically changes the above geometry, and more importantly, it means that space is a closed system - turning back upon itself - rather than being (mostly) flat. Liken it to that scene in the subway of the Matrix, where Neo keeps running down the tracks, only to return to where he started, no matter which way he goes. That's what fully curved (spherical space) is like.

And either way works. I think both models are covered well in Brian Greene's Elegant Universe. But it's more than likely flat. Meaning the implications on 3d space is that it can expand indefinitely (reality, or that which the universe exists within, would then be infinite).

Bussman likes this.
  20. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

So I dissapear for 2 days overseas ... come back and I have the number one trending post on TGP ... about flat earth ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.