Out of all the amps you've owned and played though, what was the BEST overall amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Nov 27, 2013.

1. andy474x

andy474x Member

Mine is a PRS Custom 50 head and open back 2x12 cab - in that matching paisley getup, no less - great amp. I modded a few things in the amp to really make it my own, and put Celestion Cream and Ruby alnico speakers in the cab, and it’s one of those things I just always love to play. The whole rig is just so matched up so well, and any tweak I need can be had with the EQ controls, especially for mid-rich singing rock tones. The combination of the Ruby and Cream makes for a very balanced tone with the grind of alnico but no blaring frequency spikes sticking out.

Cgkindler likes this.
  2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

That's how I feel about my Two Rock (or at least, I did...) because it's not everyday you can hand down a $2700 handmade, small, America tube amp combo!!!

Of course in 30-50 years, people will be dying to grab up the fabled HotRod Deluxe III!!!!!! LOL

Gallery likes this.
  3. the recluse

the recluse Member

I've gone through a lot. Hard to pin down the BEST, but 90's Mesa 2 Channel Dual Rec, and Mesa Royal Atlantic are at the top of the list of keepers

jm9239 likes this.
  4. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

I’ve owned a number of amps and have only held on to the keepers.

- 79 SFPR (blackfaced)
    - 79 SFDR
    - Granger SuperPlexi (some factory mods)
    - Mesa Mark III Blue Stripe

Each amp does its own thing with minimal overlap. I’ve considered selling the SFDR since I use the SFPR more, but it’s handy to have when I need more push than the PR can provide.

I’d like to add a 5E3 and an AC15 to the collection eventually, but I’m content where I am now.

5. Tone chader

Tone chader Member

I had a fantastic 1965 fender deluxe reverb. It was fantastic for country, rock, blues. It was such a complete combo amp. I still miss it.

6. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Member

I really had to think about this one. I had a Bassman and a Princeton Reverb I loved, but if I have to pick
    one it's going to be my Twin Reverb. It may weigh as much as me and be too damn loud, but oh those tones!

7. hotei

hotei Member

My choice is my 90’s Matchless Clubman 35 that was tweeked by Nashville Amplifier Service through a Mesa Lonestar 1x12 cabinet.

8. Javaman75

Javaman75 Member

9. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

My Mesa Tremoverb has been my cure for amp GAS 24 yrs running. There was a while where I really wanted a NMV amp, either a V4 or DR103. Once I started running the TVerb like a NMV amp with the loop master and channel masters cranked, and using the gain knob for my volume control that gas disappeared too.

10. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I've owned A LOT of amps.
    During the 90s I flipped Marshalls to help pay the rent. I would buy them for $200 and sell them the next week for $350 - $400.

One that really stood out was a 1974 JMP 50 watt head. Wanted to keep it so badly but the lack of MV made it unuseable at gigs.

Another was a JCM800 4210 1x12 combo. That particular one had something magical. Everyone who tried it immediately fell in love with it. Did a lot of gigs with it but eventually sold it due to it being unreliable.

Another was a Budda SD18. Gigged the hell out of that amp for a few years. Eventually sold it but still have an SD30.