Out of curiosity, anyone ever blend a p90 and single coil?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Platypus, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops

I'm thinking of a partscaster build but I was curious for some input. Anyone ever have two p90s and then a strat esque single coil in the middle position? Would that give you the quacky inbetween strat tones or would it not blend very well?

2. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Well, a P-90 is a single coil, but has more mids than a strat style p'up. You won't get the same "hollowness" you get with two strat p'ups combined because of the mid content of the P-90. However, it can still sound very good, just not the same-more mids, thicker.

3. Platypus

That's what I figured, thanks. I knew it'd be throatier but I'm really looking for that percussive snappy quack thing that strats do. I'm doing this in a tele body because I just cannot jive with a stratocaster.

4. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Yes.

The toggle switch UP activates all three pickups at one time, when it's Down the Strat 5-position switch acts like a regular 5-position Strat pickup. Lots of different sounds in here.

[​IMG]

5. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Matt...aka "Tortuga" did his Grosh in a P-90/S/S combo. It sounds Killer!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am happy!
    [​IMG]

I sat for about a half an hour playing it too. I now have an opinion on the S/S/P90 combo... it is BADA$$! I was hoping for a bridge pickup with all the squack and zing of a single coil but with the output of a bucker and sure enough I got it. This is the first "high output" Grosh P90 too. I talked to Brent last week and he said that it's DC resistance is around 8.6 (I didn't write it down so please correct me on the number after the point) anyway, it's got the same push as a classic bucker but it's a lot sloppier on the slightly broken up clean side. It's also really clear under high gain. I've always thought that P90's were kind of muddy but not this one. Not even close. It balances with the Area 61's as you would expect a typical humbucker but when you are in the 2nd (bridg/middle) position, it quacks more like a pair of single coils. It does way better at it that a split bucker to my ears. Exactly what I was hoping for.
    The ash body and the 61's really give you that classic, zingy Strat tone too. I played it back to back with my Retro and I was amazed at how Straty it really was. It just has a bit more meat because of the extra wood on the body and the slightly bigger upper horn. The Gotoh 1088 helped with that too. I like the standard, vintage style Gotoh bridge that the EJ comes with but I knew I was going for more of the Retro Classic clarity so I chose the 1088. It worked.
    The most amazing thing about this guitar though, is that Don and the guys actually made my hair-brained idea work. I've ordered and played tons of Groshes over the 12 years I sold them and I've never seen or heard one quite like this. It's unique and it's even better than I had ever hoped. I can't wait to get it to rehearsal and really run it through it's paces. More feedback to come.
    Oh, and the Sublime sparkle is AMAZING in real life. I can't stop looking at it!

6. Platypus

Excellent! I was really hoping someone had a picture. That toggle switch idea is awesome and I might have to borrow it :)

Would you say you're able to get a stratish quack in any configuration on that guitar or am I looking at two strat single coils for that sort of thing?

7. Platypus

That is badass and was my backup idea for pickups actually. Glad to see pictures of both here, this is great.

Here is my hairbrained idea :) I want a Tele body with a single F hole (like a thinline) but with p90s and single coils. Not sure on the configuration yet. I really want a surf green/pistachio paint job on the body and a maple jazzmaster esque neck. I'd want a 4 knob design for two volume two tone and this toggle switch Scott has really opens up a lot more interesting ideas that I need to think about.

Ideally I'm trying to capture what I love about a few of my guitars into one guitar which is probably a fool's game but I have to try it at least. I basically want a tele mixed with a jazzmaster but with much more chunk to it.

Basically I love the p90 throaty 'electric' feel in a cranked amp, how it stays clear and the string definition doesn't get smeared, but I also want more balls to that tone, more wood. I think the semi hollow would give me what I'm after in that regard. I also have always wanted a quacky middle strat position tone but I cannot stand strats.

8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

It quacks on the middle pickup position, if the single coil is the only one turned on.

Here are the rest of the pics, thanks for the kind words:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottauld/sets/72157607231738973/

9. steelhead

steelhead Member

[​IMG]

That neck is killer!

10. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

:agree was gonna post the exact same thing--really slick fretboard!