Out of interest.... the P90 fad fading a bit?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JimH, Mar 18, 2008.

1. JimH

JimH Member

Noticing more threads about replacing P-90s with minihums and people asking how to cut the noise and stuff... seems the reasons they all-but disappeared in the first place are becoming apparent to some of the folk who've just tried them for the first time. Personally I like them but for a while it seemed they were everybody's new holy grail - 'all the balls of humbuckers with the bite and clarity of single coils'.... that phase in gear moving away do we think?

...Just to clarify what I'm saying - not a bashing thread, everyone's keen to try new (old) things - and for a while what's new and interesting really hits us in a good way, and then some of us start finding faults, seemed the for last few years P-90s were the answer - now maybe not as much?... Feel free to say what you think.

2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Not here.

3. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

Nothing but love for the P90 here.

4. echale3

echale3 Member

It's not a fad as far as I'm concerned, and it's not fading out.... :BluesBros

If you were raised up listening to humbuckers, active electronics, and "noiseless" single-coils, when you latch onto a P-90, or any true single-coil, for that matter, you'll hear a lot more noise in the signal than you are used to, especially when you crank up the gain, and it would probably be somewhat annoying, because you are just not used to it.

From that perspective, I can see where people would be looking for a way to cut the hum without losing the raw, articulate tones you got a P-90 or other single-coil guitar for in the first place. If so, they need to accept the inevitable--to get "that" tone, you simply have to accept a little noise in the signal chain.

5. JimH

JimH Member

hahaha, pretty emphatic so far!

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I continue to drift towards the single coil camp and away from the humbucker camp for reasons of tone, articulation and clarity. Most humbuckers that I come across are too dark and muddy with the exception of Lollar's "Lo-wind" Imperials. Single coils just get me closer to that tone I hear in my head than humbuckers. It's a personal thing. In fact I just got this '67 SG Special with P-90's.

[​IMG]

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I didn't even know what a P90 was/sounded like until a few weeks ago. I bought a Reverend SSC (3 P90's) to find out and I'm never going back to strat-type singles (or strats for that matter). I'll never leave the Tele bridge pup behind though -- that is a single coil sound that I must have.
    Apparently my SSC is pretty quiet (other people have owned this exact guitar) and I have to agree. I HATE noise from my guitar/pups but this is definitely tolerable for sure. The tones are amazing imho.
    I do really like the silence from the Revtrons in my Flatroc as well. Different topic altogether :D

8. sector9

sector9 Member

:confused:

9. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Strat sized single coils, P90s, and humbuckers....

Gotta have all 3 to satisfy every occasional mood.

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

For some of us, it was never a "fad". ;)

11. JimH

JimH Member

What's that mean dude? - I think it's a pretty straight forward question. They've certainly gone up in popularity in the last few years - and I'm a big fan, but they're probably not for everyone or surely they wouldn't have needed to be re-introduced?

Exactly - that's what I'm asking really - I know there are die hards, just seem uber popular last few years and given that most of these things are cyclical wondering if on the wane - with regard to 'floating voters'....

Know what I mean?

12. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Hopefully they NEVER go away. Great sounding pups. If I ever get a Pual or PRS it will have one in the neck for sure.

13. Dave Orban

What does what mean...? :confused:

I started playing them about 10 years ago, and they've become my go-to pickup. The P90s in my '53 175 are THE sound, at least for me.

14. JimH

JimH Member

sorry - you were too quick - I was referring to the post above with no text. Hope to clear that up. I realise some people always have and always will love them - I've loved them as much as I've played them, though I only really tried them first in the 90s - so I can't claim to be a pioneer!

15. turtlesoup

turtlesoup Member

i wouldn't say they're a dying fad, but people get curious when they read about them on boards like this without knowing the musical taste of those who back them. also, the inherent difficulty in describing timbre forces us into potentially misleading territory ("sounds like a combination of a single coil and a humbucker").

in my case, i love the sound of p-90's, but they don't really fit in with my current rig and band situation. for awhile i was kicking around the idea of dropping mini's in my sg classic, but i'll probably just leave them in there.

16. go7

go7 Member

See my P-90 loaded NEW HEATLEY in the small co. luthier section. My next Heatley will have Wolfetone P-90`s also. Always loved em.

17. Dave Orban

No prob. ;)

18. sqadan

sqadan Member

I don't think a pickup that's been in wide use for over half a century can really be called a fad IMO.

19. Funkwire

Funkwire Member

I just picked up an Epi '56 Gold Top off the bay with Fralin P-90s. This is the first guitar I've had with P-90s since my old 1953 ES-125 that I had when I was a young punk (no, I don't have it anymore and I really don't want to talk about it :().

I love it! If you want that vintage mojo, P-90s have it to spare. I'll have to see how it matches up with all of the music my band does, but I will definitely be using the guitar for part of the night, at least.

20. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The gear tide goes out ... then comes back in. P90s will never lose their appeal, as one of the best-sounding single coils. They sure won't with me.