out of phase P90 wiring

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tonii, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Tonii

Tonii Member

Ok how is this best accomplished? I want the Hubert Sumlin/Peter Green OOP phase thing on the middle position of my LP special. Before somebody tells me to use google or the search button I did and I cant find a definitive answer. My tech said he can just reverse the polarity and it should work he has a tele wired this way. I'm dropping a set of antiquitys in the guitar so I'm going to have him do the mod when hes replacing my pots and putting those pickups in. I've seen people flip the magnet and ive heard ppl blast them saying that's not right. I just want the T Bone Walker (or whoever you can name) OOP p90 tone. I don't care how Peter Green really did it I just want the results. Thanks.

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Flipping the magnet works, reversing hot and ground works. The former is never "simple", although it isn't necessarily super difficult either, and sometimes the latter is also rather difficult.

Despite what people might say, the two perform exactly the same function, there is no difference (electrical or otherwise).

If the P90s are single-conductor wired, you won't be able to do it without reversing the leads in the pickup, and in that case it might be simpler to just flip the magnets.

3. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Yep, if it's the standard shielded pickup lead you'll need to rewire at the pickup, not a terrible job, but more invasive than a magnet flip. Of course, both magnets will need flipped.

4. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I flip the coil when I'm doing this procedure. That way it's true RWRP.

6. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

just flip the magnets and be done with it.
    If you do not like it, flip them back.
    done deal.

7. Tonii

Tonii Member

well my tech just reversed the polarity he said when he wired them he said. If that's wrong then he said something else because the results are spectacular. Exactly what I wanted OOP p90 tone is becoming one my favorites but then again I'm a big jump blues guy. I rarely used the middle anyways I'm always adjusting the vol/tone with the right adjustment you can get a tone very close to just a regular middle setting as well.

8. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

9. kidmo

kidmo Member

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

as definitive a demo of the difference as you're gonna hear!

basic advice for when you're doing the magnet flip is to cover the guitar with rags or something while messing with the pickup so one slip of the screwdriver doesn't cause endless heartbreak! also be conscious of those springs, that they stay in place long enough to get the screws re-threaded into the body again.

finally, a key trick to the reverse-polarity thing on gibsons is to mess with turning one of the two pickups (usually the bridge) down just a little; when you do, the cancellation goes away and you get a sturdier one-pickup tone, so the trick is to tweak that one volume to shade in less or more of that snarly sound while you play.

11. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Just something to add, I have a P90 guitar with both series and parallel out of phase, I really like the series out of phase tones, nice and honky but with much more output.

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

Now that's kind of the brian may thing! coils in series are really loud and dark, which can sort of compensate for the bass and volume loss of the "out of phase" sound, so the result is still decently fat.