Out of the loop...but wth is this about Fender EC amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Angry Old Man, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Been amp shopping and on a whim checked the fender site and seen the EC amps.
    They sell for $2500-5000.

Is anyone buying these?
    I havent seen any threads on them.

Are they better than the boutiq amps out there, or better yet better than similiar priced Original vintage BF/tweed/ amps?

Vibro-kings....$5000 :eeks

I had a Blues Jr(pre-2000) that sound better to my ears than the DRRI

What I have seen mentioned was a fender 5e3 amp, is this one of the EC models?

Seems with the economy now would not be a good time to offer $5000 factory amps.

Anyone tried one?

AOM

2. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, the prices are INSANE! For that kind of dough you get into some serious boooteek choices. In the end I suppose you are paying for having Clapton's name on your amp (?) Like that will possibly make it sound better. I'm sure they are good amps, but dang.

I'm not totally hip to current vintage prices, but couldn't you (in today's market) find a REAL vintage version of these amps/circuts out there. Surely those would sound great and would increase in value at a higher rate.

3. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

Agree 100%....couldn't have put it better myself. $5,000!? WTF!?

4. Unadan

Unadan Member

Wow I didn't realize the Twinolux was so much ($4,200 MSRP). I believe this is the highest cost amp in the EC line (not 5K). You could probably get 15% off that price from MF or GC but that's still way too expensive in my opinion.

5. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I would think you could get 40% off of the MSRP.

It doesn't seem like Fender has a winner with this series at least not that hoped for.
    I don't think they will have a long run.

6. succor

succor Member

The price range is $1000-3000. $800-2400 is you ask nicely. I'm still not interested.

7. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

All a marketing thing, looks good at NAMM, etc. That's about it really. Nothing against EC and all, but...? I didn't realize a Vibro King was $5000?

8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The reason they cost so much is because they will make you sound exactly like EC!!!

Seriously, I'm sure they sound awesome. Beauty (and tone) is in the eye (and ear) of the beholder so if you have the money, go for it. But for me, there are other, more versatile amps (like a RedPlate, etc...) that I would rather have for those prices.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

The Vibro champ has a switch to cut it down to two watts. The thing sounds incredible. Volume and tremolo.
    Now if you want affordable and cool look at the Excelcior and the Greta. Fantastic tone and Fantastic price.